Texturing a cylinder

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Grim Tuesday, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    OK, so I am trying to apply textures to a cylinder, but whenever I do, it applies the same texture to the top as to the side walls of it. My problem is, I want these to be different textures! I have tried moving to world, as well as ungrouping. Can someone shed some light on this weird situation?

2. ParanoidDrone

ParanoidDrone L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I can't remember the name of the tool, but select the one that looks like a cube with a checkerboard pattern all over it. With it, you can select individual faces and texture them to your liking.

3. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    have you tried selecting the top face then unselecting it? I sometimes have a problem when a certain face stays selected no matter what, unless i select it and unselect it again. Also, have you tried restarting hammer and/or your computer?

4. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    face edit tool :faceedittool:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I used the face edit tool, but since the texture is glass, and a cylinder is a solid, I have to (sue me if you want) carve out the inside!

Any alternatives?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. Tehrasha

Tehrasha L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You carve a cylinder to make it hollow instead of using a 360 arch with thin walls??? :facepalm:

7. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    What does a glass texture have to do with carving?
    also he could just make it hollow with the hollow command (ctrl+H? I cant remember.), then clean it up with vertex editing, if hammer trys to do it in its usual weird way.

8. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    facepalm

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, but I decided to make it a square inside the cylinder, since it looks much more natural.