Textures on displacements

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Jackalakin, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Jackalakin

Jackalakin L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've had this issue with texturing when it comes to displacements. Can anybody help me find a solution to this? In hammer it looks fine, but in the compiled map, there are dark lines down the edges of the displacements where they touch each other.[​IMG]

2. CriminalBunny

aa CriminalBunny Lasers are just deadly rainbows

Positive Ratings:
    I think is the way you've made the displacements. Try making them all squared

nice textures btw

3. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Did you select the entire brush when you created those displacements? If so, you'll have extra unseen faces attached to these displacements that the compiler will still attempt to light, resulting in these visible shadows.

The texture application tool :faceedittool: can be used to avoid or fix this. With this tool open, you can select individual faces (or multiple with ctrl pressed) and create displacements from only those faces. Similarly, you can select any displacement faces you don't need and destroy them from the Displacement tab. If you destroy all displacements from a given brush, you will get the base brush back.

4. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    As a side note, what the hell are those textures?

5. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  6. Jackalakin

Jackalakin L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Ah alright. yeah its the fact i had the entire brush selected. thanks

7. Shogun

Shogun L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like a port from some other game.