textures appear black and purple

Taffy

L1: Registered
May 25, 2010
There is probably some really simple solution to all this but I'm a noob to all this...

In my map I have 2 roof textures and a window texture:
-tile/tileroof004a
-tile/tileroof002a
-glass/glasswindow001a
The tile roof appears black with bits inbetween the bricks where the cement would go (not checkered), appearing purple.
Also my windows appear solid tinted purple, I can still see through them.
This is when I run my map, in hammer it looks fine.
I have tried putting env_cubemaps around the brushes which have the texture but nothing changes.

Any advise would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance :D

Nov 14, 2009
Are they checkered in Hammer or in TF2 only?

If only TF2, then you probably need to build your cubemaps:

sv_cheats 1
mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
map mapname
mat_specular 1

And there you have them realistic reflections!

Taffy

May 25, 2010
i've put some cube maps in already, and its not checkered, its like where the cracks in the bricks would be and for the glass its tinted it purple.

I dont know if i did the cubemaps right, i put them in each room and it stopped my CPs from appearing checkered but hasn't done anything to these textures listed ^^^

Taffy

May 25, 2010
hmmm, for some reason they wer'nt in there... is that normal for them to appear in hammer but not actually be in the folder??? then again there are other textures which appear fine in my map which dont show up in the folder...

is there a right and wrong way to place cubemaps? could i have done something wrong here? i placed one in the middle of each of the rooms affected

DjD

L5: Dapper Member
May 18, 2010
normally, the textures should be in the appropriate folder, if they are custom, always make sure you install them in the right places.
I assume, you already tried what Grim suggested? And it still doesnt work?

DjD

L5: Dapper Member
May 18, 2010
well, that will fix your problem (i'd bet 100 $ ;) )

launch tf2, open the console (enable it first if you havent: options/keyboard/advanced options)
then create server with your map.
open the console and type in
mat_specular 0 (press enter, wait till its done)
buildcubemaps (press enter, takes some seconds)
mat_specular 1 (press enter, wait)

then click disconnect.
in the console type "sv_cheats 1", then "mat_reloadallmaterials", then "sv_cheats 0"
launch your map again and it should all work properly.

Taffy

May 25, 2010
thanks both of you... just wondering though, do i have to put those commands in everytime i want to play it or will it look right all the time now?