Texture on a Texture

thunderdraco

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2008
Hey guys there was this weird question that ive always wanted to ask since seeing these things in the TF2 maps. Take a look at this image:

You see that pink smudge under the ammo box? How did they place it on the other texture there? Was it a decal? If so what is the name for that pink smudge thing? Also...

You see what I circled in red? How did they put that rocky texture in with the dirt? If you look at the rocky texture, they made it look like they just "pasted" the rock portion of the texture on top of the dirt.

Heres another for more clarification. Now, I know that dirt road texture I think. Did valve just make one long brush for the road texture and then just sized the texture appropriately? I dont get it... I'm sorry if i didnt explain myself well enough.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
ive looked at the dustbowl vmf alot, and while I haven't looked at those specifically, Ive looked at a few similar things and they appear to be overlays

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yes, the first and third pic are overlays. The second is alpha texturing with blended textures (only works on displacments).

You can find the overlay textures by typing in "overlays/" int your keyword filter at the bottom of your texture palette window. You can also try "decal" or "signs/" for a selection of other usable overlay and decal textures.

The overlay you wanted was overlays/patch001 through 009

overlay1.jpg

1. Your material
2. Brush faces. Normally this will be one face but sometimes you will want an overlay to overlap several faces. Simply type in each brush face number with a space between each seperate number depicting your brush face (or use the pepit tool (the "pick..." button) and hold shift whilst clicking your desired faces).
3. Your textures orientation. by interchanging the 0 and 1 parameters you flip the texture. Or, by typing in 6, you duplicate the overlay 6 times along that axis. If you do not need to bend your overlay around a corner like a road, for instance using the hazard texture used around the control zones, you can "stretch" the overlay instead of using 6 seperate overlays in a row.
4. Using this tool you will be able to manipulate the corners of your overlay as well as placing them. It is simply a matter of trying your best to place one overlay against another's corners. I normally have all overlays selected at the same time and drop one corner over another. I'm not sure if there is a way to sew them together.

alpha1.jpg

Value depicts how much change between the first and second texture is applied by a blended nature texture. These will be the textures with the diagonal gradiant on them. Type in "nature/blend" in your filter for examples.

Last edited: