Texture 'issue'*FIXED*

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by DrSquishy, Apr 29, 2017.

1. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am making a warehouse type building and to do this, i decided to have a curved roof, divided into sections. The problem is, I want to use skylights but when I try to bridge the glass between 2 overlapping sections, one is still visible behind the other, making a horrible looking texture. how can I stop the second glass layer from appearing behind the first without nodrawing the whole thing? overlap.jpg

2. Viperi

aa Viperi 100% might be snake

Positive Ratings:
    Align the textures skylight textures. Select the lowest face, then do alt+right click on the upper face. This will align those two. Now you'll need to repeat this till you reach the end, so you have to select the newly aligned face and then repeat on the next one, or else it'll be unaligned again. This works for aligning textures on curved surfaces like yours.

edit: fix the brushes so it doesn't overlap (could be invalid solids tho), then what i mentioned above if you still wanna align yo stuff

3. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Is that bent blue line the underside of your arch? Because if it is, you're trying to make the brush concave, and Source won't tolerate that.

4. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Yes it is

5. Viperi

aa Viperi 100% might be snake

Positive Ratings:
    You gotta fix it then. Otherwise your vmf goofs up if you don't fix the invalid solid.

6. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    You can't have concave brushes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Just remembered, they are layered sections, not one concave piece

8. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    What not to do:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Use the Vertex Tool :vertexmanip: to make this:
    [​IMG]

As long as both brushes are worldbrushes or are part of the same brush entity (func_detail, func_door...), the faces inbetween will be culled away. If that is not the case, use the Texture Application Tool :faceedittool: to apply the tools/toolsnodraw :nodraw: material on these faces.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks everyone.