Texture blending seems broken

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kerch, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Kerch

Kerch L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    After spending ages trying to get the blend modulation working for a custom blend texture, I decided to take a look at some other maps to see what the effect was supposed to be like. As far as I can tell blend modulation doesn't seem to work for me full stop. Below is an example from Coldfront (the snow should blend into a pattern at the top of the cliff). It looks this way regardless of my settings, and I've verified my TF2 files.

[​IMG]

What might have caused this? My custom textures were put in a special directory so I don't think I broke anything in the main texture folders.

Thanks

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    You're missing the $blendmodulate. The file you're looking for is Nature/snowwall_blendmask.vtf; if you're missing it from your .gcf or have replaced it somehow, here it is.

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Don't you remember that one ground texture every newbie mapper and their dog used that gave them a checkerboard pattern? I recall that being a missing normal map, surely a missing blend modulate will also produce checkers?

Pretty sure (>99%) sure that isn't the problem.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds more like the modulate isn't defined in the VMT. Other than that, i have no idea.

5. Kerch

Positive Ratings:
    I've tried re-downloading the tf2 materials gcf, updating graphics drivers (card is GTX 460), changing dxlevel , and wiping the tf/materials folder. Still no change, all maps seem affected.

Gonna try installing the beta and see what it looks like in that.

6. Kerch

Positive Ratings:
    Flushing my configs seems to have fixed it, so it must be caused by a rogue config entry which doesn't get reset by the tf2 menu graphics options or by my high quality config which I exec before maptests.

Here's Coldfront now in all its glory:

[​IMG]

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I had that same issue with Coldfront at one point, and it resolved itself by the next time I played the map. Weird.

8. Schrikvis

Schrikvis L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yep. High quality configs always screw things up for me.
    (especially playermodels, for example)