Testing maps on local server buggy

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Singing Bears

L1: Registered
Jun 19, 2011
I've been trying my hand at building maps for TF2 in Hammer lately, with little success. I'm not new to level development, I've worked quite extensively in the UDK, but there are some things I just can't seem to get working.

My biggest problem is, that after I run a map and open it in a local server, the game just behaves strangely. Movement is halted, it becomes difficult to move through water, I can run straight over ledges and just float as though I've turned off clipping entirely.

I had thought this was a problem with the maps I was building, but when I tried to load up a map I know works (cp_freight) and play it locally, I got the same issues.

My PC is no slouch, either. I can run animations in Maya in real time 30 fps while streaming HD video and keeping Photoshop open in the background just because I'm too lazy to close it.

Does anybody have any ideas?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Instead of creating a server, open the console and type map mapname

It's just a weird bug and this fixes it.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
This is, well, strange. Have you tried verifying game files and/or reverting video/other settings to low/default settings?

EDIT: Oh okay fine yyler be a jerk

Archmage MC

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2011
Question, is there a leak somewhere? That could cause a lot of lag too. Or run it with map <mapname> instead, as that is a little bit better for performance for some odd reason.

Singing Bears

L1: Registered
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks to everyone who responded!

Loading the map through the console proved to be the solution I was looking for. It's good to know this is an active and knowledgeable community. Mad props.

Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, I have this problem too. Whenever I make my own local server, like I did to try that training map that's not made by Valve (tr_walkway?), I randomly noclip through walls and fly off ledges and things. The "halted" gameplay you feel is because your viewmodel is not where your clipping model is. So you randomly stop. I still haven't figured out how to fix it. And yes, I have uninstalled/reinstalled the game, deleted my tf folder...

Oh, and I've just been using the "Run Map" function in Hammer to run my map.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Loading maps via the new server button is for scrubs anyway.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I just wouldn't advise using local servers anymore. Destroys my framerate :( Makes heavy sad