temple_ge

Taco

L1: Registered
Jan 7, 2010
Hi everyone! This is my first map, a remake from the temple level of goldeneye on the N64.

I initially released it as an arena map, but not a lot of people are found of arena and many of my friends were suggesting I release it as a koth map instead, so I thought I would drop the arena version for now and leave it as it is and come back to it once I'm done here.

The original map is not very symmetrical, so I decided to add on to it, without changing any of the original design structurally. I added a cavern like area on one side of the temple and closed off a ramp leading to the cp because it was too close to spawn. Since this is alpha and I'm not too concerned about the fine details right now the rampway is simply closed with a door. I hope to change this in future versions though by having some alternative to blocking players from accessing the ramp, but still showing them that its there, that the layout hasnt changed at all, more so for nostalgic reasons. As of right now, the cavern area and temple are linked through holes in the temple wall. I initially had breakable walls, to make the two areas feel separate and still give the temple that some original feel it had in Goldeneye, but after I saw how dark the walling area was I feared that players new to the map might not understand that they had to break down the walls so for the time being they are removed until I determine an easier way to portray to the player that the wall is breakable.

As of right now, the map is pretty much symmetrical. It's probably not 100% symmetrical in regards towards scaled accuracy, but the layout on both teams sides is very much the same. It seems to be balanced for both sides, but I'm not 100% sure on this matter, and feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for feedback on spawn placement, pickup placement, and really, just about anything!

Enjoy the map!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It might be worth considering spytech around the point. I know you said it's in alpha and you're not worried about fine details, but most people who use the egypt theme neglect the spytech aspect of TF2.

Taco

L1: Registered
Jan 7, 2010
what exactly do you mean by spytech? Do you mean some of those themed objects like computers and whatnot?

That's actually something I would very much consider, though I'm not sure how I would go about doing it. Though the original temple level from Goldeneye did not have props, there was a level in the game that had a similar theme (the moonraker bonus mission, in an Aztec temple if I recall correctly) and this level had lots of computer equipment about the level, as it was an enemy base that Bond was infiltrating. It even had a rocket that launched into space.

I'll definitely look into this in future renditions. I feel that a spytech sub-theme could work quite nicely for this level, making players feel like there's actually a reason why they are fighting over this point. so thank you very much for that suggestion.

Just a side note. Im hoping to fix a few things in alpha 3. primarily I want to try a new lighting scheme that helps players new to the map identify which side they are on as well as throw a few signs around the level to help guide players towards the capture point. Maybe also try and make the cavern area look a little more realistic. The biggest thing I would like to try and accomplish however is make this an appropriate map for a game day testing. My biggest concern right now is the control point, as I feel it is a little too open to attack so I'm thinking of centering it in the center of the basement room, as opposed to being aligned with the hole in the ceiling. But I'd like some other opinions on the matter as I simply can't trust my own alone. Any input on this, as well as any other touchups that you feel would be necessary for a smooth gameday testing (health/ammo pickups, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
The "Spytech" props are, indeed, the computers and stuff like that (in hammer you can type "spytech" when serching for a model and it'll desplay all the spytech props...) And it would be nice if you'll add them around the central point because TF2 is not Goldeneye! And maybe you should consider making the level look like a TF2 level!
Anyway the map looks great! for now...