Temple of Retribution (TFDM7)

Rizz

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2009
Temple of Retribution was a map in Quake 3 Arena, way back in the day.
I've gone about and started to remake the map. I don't feel like uploading screenshots. :/

Here's a video demonstrating the map and everything I've done thus far.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq4XgcZ-RcM"]YouTube- TF2 Map: TFDM7 (Temple of Retribution)[/ame]

Also, if you'd like to try out a new beta:
Download Link

Beware of the basement/cave room, I messed up with the polygons in the portal. I'll be adding in Quake textures, and be changing a lot more.
I finally pakratted the texture right. ;)

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
insides look good, and the outsides look like they would be good with the egypt textures although u might be going for a quake-stlye.

Rizz

Dec 18, 2009
I am actually going for a Quake 1 and Quake 3 style. Once the maps finished, there will be no TF2 textures remaining (hopefully).
I want to use Quake 3 textures (I've actually ripped the textures from Quake 3) and am also useing these Quake 1 textures for a more demonic-evilish feel.
http://facelift.quakedev.com/retexture/textures/textures_1.html

I'm going to use textures such as these:
met5_3.jpg

muh_bad.jpg

adoor03_2.jpg

Rizz

Dec 18, 2009
A port would be considered a map which as been ported from one game/console to another. A remake is different.

In example, Bungie did a ton of remakes from Halo and Halo 2 on Halo 3.
Lockout is Blackout, etc. It's not a port, but a remake.

Feb 17, 2009
Still it would be better if you'd use tf2 textures. But thats your map, so you can choose.

Rizz

Dec 18, 2009
I'd like to go for a certain Quake style, not for the 1940's TF2 style. It's the difference between every other map and this, no offense to anyone else's but it adds originality.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Do what you wish, and good luck. You'll get alot of flack here from people going "oh use TF2 textures" and stuff, I don't mind too much, but tbh, if you found somebody who had the time and wanted to, could turn those quake textures into a more stylised-yet fitting with the quake theme-tf2 style textures. I don't care, but if you do get lots of flak for it, it's always an option to look at.

strangemodule

Sep 10, 2009
I haven't run through the map yet, but in your video I saw that you could walk through some walls. What is going on there?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Being one of the biggest q3a around and also active on QL this looks really good.

Not sure how well it will play on TF2 however.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
You are hurting both the original map's art style and TF2's art style by trying to port the map from one kind of game to another without making the entire experience fit together as a whole (note, your distinction between "port" and "remake" is irrelevant and contrary to common usage; they are pretty much synonymous when describing maps).

If you wanted to convert the HUD to a Quake style HUD and convert all the player models and sounds and weapon models and sounds as a Quake homage, than wow that would be quite an ambitious project, and I would love to see it. But I suspect that's not your goal, and so I say again, your end product will suffer by being a square peg jammed unceremoniously into a round hole.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
while I wouldn't be as harsh as above me, I kinda have to agree. The TF2 characters will look a bit out of place in the quake universe.
Also, and don't quote me on this, but don't people still play it? If they wanted it they could play that game, so having a remake in TF2 with the same layout and some similar details might help. It's a bit like the map I'm making at the moment, a map based on TimeSplitters2's Siberia level. I ended up taking more inspiration from it than copying brick by brick.

But it's really up to you, just depends which bits of quake you wanna take with you

Rizz

Dec 18, 2009
I agree with you on the fact that TF2 is not Q3A, not a death match type game but rather a team-class based game.

I'm at the moment attempting to create a custom class changer (not using a server plugin) which changes your class once you step on the weapon. I'm trying to use "point_clientcommand" to change your class and have you spawn exactly where you change classes.

I've also been a very big fan of Quake 3. When I first thought about designing this map, I wanted to bring back the old days in Quake 3 with Instagib-Freeze Tag on Temple of Retribution although now I'm designing this map for Instagib-Freeze Tag/ Payload/ CTF/ Control Point/ and TDM.
The payload will start where you get the Railgun and end at the Rockets spawn.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
I am actually going for a Quake 1 and Quake 3 style. Once the maps finished, there will be no TF2 textures remaining (hopefully).
I want to use Quake 3 textures (I've actually ripped the textures from Quake 3) and am also using these Quake 1 textures for a more demonic-evilish feel.

Seriously, go make maps for Quake then? How is this going to be a TF2 map, when there are not even any TF2 textures? :facepalm:

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
Rizz this is pretty awesome. Hopefully youll make DM6 when this ones done ;)

You could essentially make it TDM though by making it koth with no cap point and putting random spawns around the map for both teams and forcing off the respawn timer like vilepickle did in duel_duel2

not sure if thered be a way for it to calculate which team got how many frags at the end but if the map time was forced to 15 minutes or 20 or so itd be fun

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I hate your scattergun skin! :D

However the map looks quite good. I like the moving lava whered ya get that from.
I might have it...is it ment to appear as purple sqaures in hammer.

Rizz

Dec 18, 2009
Here's the big question that's been ratteling my brain for the past few days.
Should I put blocking volumes (invisible walls) on the ceiling so that people (Demonman, Soldiers, etc) can't get up there?
Engineer's won't be able to get up there.

I personally wouldn't mind having them up there.

Rizz

Dec 18, 2009
Here's the second alpha with a ton of (Quake) new textures and more detailed added. I'm focusing on the main room, lighting isn't finished either.
Download

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetIbQU3_p4"]YouTube- TF2 Map: TFDM7[/ame]

Last edited: