tell me what you think (planning a new map)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by REEJ, Feb 5, 2011.

1. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I kinda like it... it looks really open, but i guess thats because its in pre-alpha.

No clue why that skin is like that, maybe a vvis error (i think thats it...)

3. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    seems sort of really flat and open

you only really have two levels of gameplay here: the lower area, and the 'cliff' areas

but what do I know

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    It's extremely open and flat, like nik said.

5. REEJ

Positive Ratings:
    seems like i'm relentless in failing to understand the TF2 design style

6. REEJ

Positive Ratings:
    on a second thought (and 10 compiles later) it starts to look better and gains fat :rolleyes:

7. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    That rocks origin is probably inside the terrain, that's where the lighting info comes from. You can use a info_lighting (I believe) to give it an 'origin' in the open air, that'll make it light better.

But wait until you're almost done for that stuff, if you move terrain/delete rock... it'll change
    ----------

The layout does look alright but like they ^ said. Kind of flat and really open.

A lot more interesting if the track goes up and/or down sometimes. Maybe have it go under or through a building (that'll close off an area and make it tighter (choke point). it just looks really 'even' everywhere, walls same distance from tracks, the highest part is all same height. Variety is the spice of tf2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. What Is Schwa

What Is Schwa L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    You seem to have a good handle on it. This layout is good and has a lot of good ideas. Keep going, add cover where you think it needs it, and reduce where you think areas are too big. You already have some z-axis fighting, which is more than most initial maps.