tell me what you think (planning a new map)

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
seems sort of really flat and open

you only really have two levels of gameplay here: the lower area, and the 'cliff' areas

but what do I know

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
It's extremely open and flat, like nik said.

REEJ

Aug 26, 2010
seems like i'm relentless in failing to understand the TF2 design style

REEJ

Aug 26, 2010
I kinda like it... it looks really open, but i guess thats because its in pre-alpha.

No clue why that skin is like that, maybe a vvis error (i think thats it...)

on a second thought (and 10 compiles later) it starts to look better and gains fat :rolleyes:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
That rocks origin is probably inside the terrain, that's where the lighting info comes from. You can use a info_lighting (I believe) to give it an 'origin' in the open air, that'll make it light better.

But wait until you're almost done for that stuff, if you move terrain/delete rock... it'll change
----------

The layout does look alright but like they ^ said. Kind of flat and really open.

A lot more interesting if the track goes up and/or down sometimes. Maybe have it go under or through a building (that'll close off an area and make it tighter (choke point). it just looks really 'even' everywhere, walls same distance from tracks, the highest part is all same height. Variety is the spice of tf2.

Last edited:

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
seems like i'm relentless in failing to understand the TF2 design style
You seem to have a good handle on it. This layout is good and has a lot of good ideas. Keep going, add cover where you think it needs it, and reduce where you think areas are too big. You already have some z-axis fighting, which is more than most initial maps.