Teleporter exit self destructs on use

Curtain_Pole

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2012
This was brought to my attention by Tupperwits who noted that on my map any linked teleporter entrance and exit that get placed anywhere in the map will result in the exit being destroyed anytime a player attempts to use said teleporter.

I've never encountered this issue before when mapping, can anyone give me a clue or help as to why this is happening?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Do you have any props with large bounding boxes, either naturally such as animated explosion debris or as a result of rotation? Exits that are placed within such a bounding box without setting the prop to "non-solid" will detonate, incorrectly assuming the destination is blocked (even if the prop has no collsions, it must be explicitly set to nonsolid).

Curtain_Pole

Aug 4, 2012
[fixed]

Fixed it, i believe it was being caused by a particle system that rained down on the final cap, by flagging it as weather this has fixed the problem

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I never knew that was the method they used for determining whether to self-destruct. It's quite obtuse.

Is it really that obtuse when the alternative is a potential map breaking bug?

It's common knowledge that tele' exits SD when they are blocked, usually by something obstructing above it or it being on an incline that catches players feet when they spawn as is common on displacements.

This is the next logical deduction in regards to the tele's relationship with the world, although one the more experienced would be inclined to draw easier.

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
The entire bounding box is quite obtuse, though - is it not possible to do a local vphysics check? If there were a large tree whose branches made its bounding box large but were well out of the way of players, would the tele still self-destruct of you placed it near the tree?

Hell-met

Oct 30, 2010
about premade engi teleporters

has anyone ever made them work through a template and env_maker spawn? it never seemed to work for me.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The entire bounding box is quite obtuse, though - is it not possible to do a local vphysics check?
Well supposing it's a dynamic prop...

EDIT: Come to think of it, this may only apply to dynamic props. That may be why people normally don't encounter it.