Team-Swapped Maps

Team-Swapped Maps B3-B7

TheGhostThatWas

L1: Registered
May 19, 2014
Team-Switched Maps (Series 1) - The Red team is attacking, and the Blue team defends on these strange maps

Imagine a Team Fortress 2 where things could be just slightly different.

The teams have always had the same roles in all of the asymmetrical game modes. Blue always attacks, and Red always defends. It doesn't really affect gameplay, but it just makes the game simple. Also, it makes you wonder why Red never attacks the Blue teams bomb making factories, and they would never have to worry about the payload again. Really, why don't they counter-attack?

I'm definitely an amatuer map maker, but I really wanted to make this little project a real thing. I had tried to make this a mod a couple years ago, but with the death of sv_pure (and the obvious problem that replacing texture files won't make every map look great), I gave it up.
Recently, I thought about it again and decided to learn how to make it real (to the best of my ability). Hopefully it's not too much of a waste, as it is basically a hyped up re-texture. I feel really bad I'm finishing it in a time where everyone is making meme remakes of maps, and I really don't want it to feel too crumby.
I'm still glad I was able to make this little idea real though.

Map pack includes altered versions of:
  • Upward
  • Badwater
  • Goldrush
  • Gorge
  • Gravel Pit
  • Dustbowl
Future Plans:
  • Finish the remaining maps
  • Consider re-branding some environmental details
  • (Bug) Fix some prop lighting problems on certain maps
  • (Bug) Fixing the remaining Hud elements
Please give me any suggestions (or criticism), plus bug reports here.

Last edited:
P

Prosciutto

this is going to be so confusing but i like the idea because i always wondered why red defends and blu attacks

Last edited by a moderator:

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
I see where your getting at with these maps, as there's certainly some insteresting stories to come up with from this idea. However blue attacks and red defends for a reason. New players, and even experienced ones, are going to be so confused upon playing the maps.

I do like how you've changed up some textures and models to fit the team swap, but this doesn't really add anything to the gameplay experience, rather it just confuses players.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it (I mean so long as your having fun and enjoying yourself, go ahead!) but just don't expect anyone to be that enthusiastic about it

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013
this is going to be so confusing but i like the idea because i always wondered why red defends and blu attacks
Because then BLU can get contracted to rebuild their base. It's the perfect plan!

TheGhostThatWas

May 19, 2014
I see where your getting at with these maps, as there's certainly some insteresting stories to come up with from this idea. However blue attacks and red defends for a reason. New players, and even experienced ones, are going to be so confused upon playing the maps.
snip

I agree. I never thought these maps would be taken too seriously, even by me. It's more like an alternate game mode just to try something interesting.
If I do finish the series, there will probably only be one more pack with everything else.

TheGhostThatWas

May 19, 2014
After an (unsurprising) somewhat mixed reception, I wanted to make sure that I make further updates to these maps before I began serious work on series 2. In this update, I tried to further change the visuals of the map, as well as fixing small details and bugs that I missed in the initial release.
These maps will most likely go through more visual changes, although at this point I believe gameplay affecting visuals (cap point signs, spawn details) have been corrected. These changes will include making the theme more appropriate per team, while avoiding simple switches which result in eyesores (i.e. pl_goldrush first spawn on Red side.)
(I've also decided that the second series will be more refined before release, which might take even more time. Hopefully that will make a better impression when someone sees it for the first time.)

cp_dustbowl
  • Fixed prop(s)/light(s) missed during previous passes
  • Reduced overall warm colors

cp_gravelpit
  • Added custom assets to replace those that didn't have red variants
  • Changed point B textures
  • Changed several overlays

cp_gorge
  • Remade missing entities (overlays lost during decompiling)
  • Fixed prop(s)/light(s) missed during preious passes (Some of these changes might not be finalized)
  • Fixed an optimization error

pl_goldrush
  • Changed round 1 Red spawn textures
  • Fixed announcer voicelines

pl_badwater
  • Changed some of Red's first spawn textures
  • Changed several overlays
  • Fixed announcer voicelines

pl_upward
  • Changed Red's first spawn textures
  • Remade missing entities (overlays lost during decompiling)
  • Added custom assets to replace those that didn't have red varients
  • Fixed prop(s)/light(s) missed during preious passes
  • Removed map exploit

Read the rest of this update entry...

RevolutionTeam

L4: Comfortable Member
May 19, 2019
I mean, for payload, this makes sense. After all, RED is "Reliable Excavation and Demolition".