Team Fortress 2 Update Released

tf2.com

L13: Stunning Member
Jun 16, 2010
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
  • Implemented VScript
    • VScript allows mappers to embed script code (Squirrel3) into maps. This system is already being used for L4D2 and CS:GO maps.
      • Interface with entities and the world like regular Hammer logic
      • Simplify things that were previously incredibly complicated/tedious in Hammer logic
      • Interact with and control bots, bosses, player attributes, entities, and game state closely, allowing for enhanced, modified or entirely custom game modes
      • React to game events and change the outcome of certain things, such as damage calculations
    • More technical info about VScript for Team Fortress 2 is available on the Valve Developer Community
  • Added the ability to change the skybox dynamically using the skybox_changer entity or SetSkyboxTexture
  • Added support for custom MvM upgrade files packed into the map
  • Added point_worldtext, an entity that can show text dynamically, with support for multiple SDF (signed distance field) fonts, multiple colors and a rainbow mode
  • Exposed several movement related ConVars
  • Implemented support for func_monitor and cameras
  • Implemented logic_eventlistener for listening to game events from Hammer logic
  • Added the ability to pass parameters and delay to MvM populator actions
  • Improved compile time with VRAD
  • Special thanks to Jakub and everyone on the GitHub VScript Mega Issue for testing, providing feedback, and submitting requests

Read on the TF2 Blog...

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
  • Implemented VScript
    • VScript allows mappers to embed script code (Squirrel3) into maps. This system is already being used for L4D2 and CS:GO maps.
      • Interface with entities and the world like regular Hammer logic
      • Simplify things that were previously incredibly complicated/tedious in Hammer logic
      • Interact with and control bots, bosses, player attributes, entities, and game state closely, allowing for enhanced, modified or entirely custom game modes
      • React to game events and change the outcome of certain things, such as damage calculations
    • More technical info about VScript for Team Fortress 2 is available on the Valve Developer Community

Oh wow. This sounds amazing.

Mmm, do I need to reinstall Hammer or...?

Nagi

L1: Registered
Dec 1, 2022
Hell yeah, this is a whole new era of team fortress 2, cant wait to see what all the smart cookies out there will do with vscript.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
There's been plenty of insightful discussion over on the discord!

...And only on the discord.

I really miss the days when people used the forums.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
There's been plenty of insightful discussion over on the discord!

...And only on the discord.

I really miss the days when people used the forums.
Sadly it's not 2006 anymore

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Sadly it's not 2006 anymore
But I HATE change!!! Why can't everything be the same all the time forever????

h044s6irkmr81.png

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Some of us like having information publicly documented somewhere so we can access it at our leisure, rather than needing to keep some proprietary chat app open 24/7 lest we miss an interesting conversation at the exact moment it happens. Shockingly, sometimes new things are less convenient than old ones.

I mean, "It's not 2006 anymore" is a stupid argument in general. It's not 2008 anymore either, so should we have stopped playing TF2 entirely and started playing Fortnite instead just because it's the trendy new thing to like?

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
Some of us like having information publicly documented somewhere so we can access it at our leisure, rather than needing to keep some proprietary chat app open 24/7 lest we miss an interesting conversation at the exact moment it happens. Shockingly, sometimes new things are less convenient than old ones.

I mean, "It's not 2006 anymore" is a stupid argument in general. It's not 2008 anymore either, so should we have stopped playing TF2 entirely and started playing Fortnite instead just because it's the trendy new thing to like?
As someone who plays fortnite, quitting tf2 entirely in favour of making fortnite maps gets more and more attractive with each passing day.

But I do also think forums rock!!!