Team Fortress 2 Update Released

tf2.com

L13: Stunning Member
Jun 16, 2010
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
  • Fixed a common server crash that primarily occurred during Mann vs. Machine matches
  • Fixed a memory leak for OS X and Linux clients

Read on the TF2 Blog...

Hi5TBone

L1: Registered
May 28, 2015
IgMyx.gif

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I wonder how many hundreds of times that gif gets posted if you include the number of times it's posted when CS:GO and DoTA 2 updates go live.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
o5BscAr.jpg

That's on high textures, and that still looks like leaking memory to me @The Jill

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
o5BscAr.jpg

That's on high textures, and that still looks like leaking memory to me @The Jill
tfb it said "fixed a memory leak", not "fixed all memory leaks", as nice as that would be

Last edited:

Hi5TBone

L1: Registered
May 28, 2015
o5BscAr.jpg

Leaked (hahahaha) info from reddit about this:

from Jill

It will help, but, unfortunately, the GL builds are running into a genuine memory pressure issue that can't be solved so easily. OS X users hitting this will benefit from upgrading to 10.11 and lowering texture resolution (especially on intel graphics).

Linux users with intel graphics should use the newest mesa driver stack available. Those using a 32bit kernel should consider switching to a 64bit distro if possible, to maximize available address space to 32bit processes.

source

from sigsev

I have some additional information about the fix from emailing Eric Smith and John Schoenick about it just now:

Eric:

We were leaking gl memory. JohnS (cc’d) can explain in more detail if you’re curious.

John:

More specifically, in some cases, especially in multi-threaded mode, we would release GL textures on the thread without the context. GL will happily accept, and ignore, the request to do so, at which point the texture memory (and video and shadow system memory) is lost.

Me:

I see. So from some quick sleuthing, it looks like:

• GLMContext now has a CTSQueue<CGLMTex *>
  • GLMContext::DelTex now pushes to that call queue
  • GLMContext::present now calls GLMContext::processTextureDeletes to process the calls in the queue
Since this is a libtogl fix, I assume we'll see this fix in CS:GO and other games soon? (Or perhaps that's even already happened?)

John:

This fix actually was discovered in CS:GO, it should ship shortly there as well.

(For the uninitiated, libtogl is the name of Valve's DirectX-to-OpenGL translation layer library that allows Source engine to run on OS X and Linux.)

source

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Leaked (hahahaha) info from reddit about this:

from Jill

It will help, but, unfortunately, the GL builds are running into a genuine memory pressure issue that can't be solved so easily. OS X users hitting this will benefit from upgrading to 10.11 and lowering texture resolution (especially on intel graphics).

Linux users with intel graphics should use the newest mesa driver stack available. Those using a 32bit kernel should consider switching to a 64bit distro if possible, to maximize available address space to 32bit processes.

source

from sigsev

I have some additional information about the fix from emailing Eric Smith and John Schoenick about it just now:

Eric:

We were leaking gl memory. JohnS (cc’d) can explain in more detail if you’re curious.

John:

More specifically, in some cases, especially in multi-threaded mode, we would release GL textures on the thread without the context. GL will happily accept, and ignore, the request to do so, at which point the texture memory (and video and shadow system memory) is lost.

Me:

I see. So from some quick sleuthing, it looks like:

• GLMContext now has a CTSQueue<CGLMTex *>
  • GLMContext::DelTex now pushes to that call queue
  • GLMContext::present now calls GLMContext::processTextureDeletes to process the calls in the queue
Since this is a libtogl fix, I assume we'll see this fix in CS:GO and other games soon? (Or perhaps that's even already happened?)

John:

This fix actually was discovered in CS:GO, it should ship shortly there as well.

(For the uninitiated, libtogl is the name of Valve's DirectX-to-OpenGL translation layer library that allows Source engine to run on OS X and Linux.)

source
I know, I'm talking to sigsegv right now about it.