Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by tf2.com, Aug 19, 2016.

1. tf2.com

tf2.com L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
    • Fixed a common server crash that primarily occurred during Mann vs. Machine matches
    • Fixed a memory leak for OS X and Linux clients

Read on the TF2 Blog...

2. Hi5TBone

Hi5TBone L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  3. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    I wonder how many hundreds of times that gif is posted every time a TF2 update goes live.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    I wonder how many hundreds of times that gif gets posted if you include the number of times it's posted when CS:GO and DoTA 2 updates go live.

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  5. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

That's on high textures, and that still looks like leaking memory to me @The Jill

6. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    tfb it said "fixed a memory leak", not "fixed all memory leaks", as nice as that would be

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    We /r/dota2 now

8. Hi5TBone

Hi5TBone L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:

Leaked (hahahaha) info from reddit about this:

from Jill

It will help, but, unfortunately, the GL builds are running into a genuine memory pressure issue that can't be solved so easily. OS X users hitting this will benefit from upgrading to 10.11 and lowering texture resolution (especially on intel graphics).

Linux users with intel graphics should use the newest mesa driver stack available. Those using a 32bit kernel should consider switching to a 64bit distro if possible, to maximize available address space to 32bit processes.

source

from sigsev

I have some additional information about the fix from emailing Eric Smith and John Schoenick about it just now:

Eric:

We were leaking gl memory. JohnS (cc’d) can explain in more detail if you’re curious.

John:

More specifically, in some cases, especially in multi-threaded mode, we would release GL textures on the thread without the context. GL will happily accept, and ignore, the request to do so, at which point the texture memory (and video and shadow system memory) is lost.

Me:

I see. So from some quick sleuthing, it looks like:

• GLMContext now has a CTSQueue<CGLMTex *>
    • GLMContext::DelTex now pushes to that call queue
    • GLMContext::present now calls GLMContext::processTextureDeletes to process the calls in the queue
    Since this is a libtogl fix, I assume we'll see this fix in CS:GO and other games soon? (Or perhaps that's even already happened?)

John:

This fix actually was discovered in CS:GO, it should ship shortly there as well.

(For the uninitiated, libtogl is the name of Valve's DirectX-to-OpenGL translation layer library that allows Source engine to run on OS X and Linux.)

source

9. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    I know, I'm talking to sigsegv right now about it.