Team Fortress 2 Update Released

tf2.com

L13: Stunning Member
Jun 16, 2010
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
  • Updated Casual Mode
    • Removed the abandonment penalty
    • Players are only required to have a single mode selected before queuing
  • Fixed a dedicated server crash caused by projectiles from the Pomson 6000 and the Righteous Bison
  • Fixed being able to damage yourself to gain Hype while using The Soda Popper
  • Changed how much metal destroyed objects drop and fixed destroyed teleporters dropping more metal than intended
  • Fixed the Bonesaw not working properly while using viewmodel minmode
  • Fixed the Spy and Engineer not being able to equip the Prinny Machete

Read on the TF2 Blog...

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Glad to see the casual mode is being reworked- If you guys haven't seen the blog post, it is incredibly thorough and sincere and lists how the tf team will be handling their future concerning communication and matchmaking. Happy to see a quick patch!

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Personally, I'd prefer leaving the abandonment penalty in, rename Casual to something like Unranked, and then bring back the old Quick Play button. (Apparently it's functionality is still in the client?) There was something nice about having a mode where people would at least try to play out the round.

dryerlint

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 28, 2016
There was something nice about having a mode where people would at least try to play out the round.

Isn't that just comp, though? I understand that it would be nice to have a "middle ground" between comp and casual, but at some point, you can't please everyone

Dec 28, 2014
Personally, I'd prefer leaving the abandonment penalty in, rename Casual to something like Unranked, and then bring back the old Quick Play button. (Apparently it's functionality is still in the client?) There was something nice about having a mode where people would at least try to play out the round.

Yeah I played 3 unranked matches last night and it was amazing. I absolutely hated playing on Valve pubs before to get contracts but it was an amazing experience, everyone was trying to play the game.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I'd honestly prefer it if they didn't bring back Quickplay and instead brought back a small number of Valve pubs and made them accessible via the server browser (which desperately needs to be updated), as well as putting the server browser somewhere where it is EXTREMELY visible to new players (which I think Valve should do regardless). Imagine a big button underneath "Find a Game" that just said "Public Servers" instead of having the server browser hidden near the bottom of the play menu.

Valve's plans for Casual don't sound bad at all (pretty good, actually). I just wish I was able to drop onto a Valve rotation server running a specific map right now instead of waiting 2 weeks for an update to allow me to do so. Valve pubs would also help generate a bigger interest in that play category while we wait for really good community servers to start showing up again.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
I'd honestly prefer it if they didn't bring back Quickplay and instead brought back a small number of Valve pubs and made them accessible via the server browser (which desperately needs to be updated), as well as putting the server browser somewhere where it is EXTREMELY visible to new players (which I think Valve should do regardless). Imagine a big button underneath "Find a Game" that just said "Public Servers" instead of having the server browser hidden near the bottom of the play menu.

Valve's plans for Casual don't sound bad at all (pretty good, actually). I just wish I was able to drop onto a Valve rotation server running a specific map right now instead of waiting 2 weeks for an update to allow me to do so. Valve pubs would also help generate a bigger interest in that play category while we wait for really good community servers to start showing up again.

Yeah something like that would work fine. There are around 8000 and 9000 Valve servers, you could easily make around 1000 or 1500 old pub style.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Finally can actually enjoy casual.
911D27B408976572F9C552737010A40FEF8B7815

GroundCode_

L1: Registered
Jan 6, 2016
So I'm pretty sure MM finds matches based on ping and if you have bad ping, like I currently do, you just get to sit their and watch as other players get matched together never actually getting to join a game. I can only play on community servers full of adds and mods or training mode, and I'm getting pretty sick of both of them...

#bringbackthepubs

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
I have played one game of casual. It was great.

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
So,a friend of mine is telling you can't dominate someone if you're playing in the Casual Mode.

New bug? Probably. I'm not surprised if it is. xd

Jul 26, 2015
My casual experience was repeatedly getting killed by a hacking sniper pocketed by a quick-fix medic. Of course, with no way to kick him or to leave the match.

By the way, has anyone been getting the bug where removing a sapper on a teleporter only removes it on one end?