Team Fortress 2 Transparent Snow?

SpillProff

L1: Registered
Aug 24, 2017
So I'm currently making a map with snow and nature/snow_full001 is a snow texture but when I used it, the texture was transparent. Is there a texture I can download to fix this or what?
TCRGPwl.png

Aug 30, 2015
I believe that what appears to be a transparency layer is in fact a reflection of some sort. How does this texture look in a rendered map? As far as I am aware this snow texture works fine in game

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
This snow texture uses cubemaps for your reflections. It just shows up in Hammer weird because reflections aren't build in Hammer. It should work fine in the game.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
if you don't like the reflections ingame (I personally dislike texture reflections) just go into the .vmt of the texture and remove the envcubemaps line or whatever it is, then save it somewhere else as a custom texture. It'll still reference the original vtf, so will work, but it will now have no relection

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
This snow texture uses cubemaps for your reflections. It just shows up in Hammer weird because reflections aren't build in Hammer. It should work fine in the game.
It's actually because Hammer can't read reflectivity masks but knows they exist, so it renders the materials as if those textures were just missing (i.e. the standard purple-and-black texture).