TC with KotH

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
So I'm thinking for my second map doing TC. However, I want to use King of the Hill as the base for each round. So there's one central point that the teams have to fight over and capture, hold for a couple minutes, and then advance to the next round. So what kind of crazy insane logic would I need to pull this off?

Cinnamon Whirl

L1: Registered
May 9, 2008
KotH shouldn't be too hard - a logic timer set to (eg) 120 seconds. Enable it when a point is taken, disable / re-enable upon point changing teams. A cumulative effect would also be possible, ie, a team hold a point for a total of 2 minutes, but not in a single block.
Also two logic_compares that are set to 0 or 1 depending on which team holds the point. These would be used to determine the winner.

I havent actually seen any tutorials for TC maps in general; have you? I don't know how the next "section" is decided. Also, if you are capturing a central point, the map won't flow the same as hydro, where the winning team spawns from the previous cap.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
You would need three round timers for the normal rounds (they can get reused each round). The first would be the neutral timer that would stalemate if it ran out before either team was able to capture the point. Then you would switch between the other two timers depending on which team held the capture point.

Likewise you would also need extra capture point entites (the parts with the spinning holograms). You need one capture point for each spawning area. These can be hidden. Then you need one capture point for each in-between area, which are what you'll actually use for the KotH mechanics. Once a timer runs down and a team wins, the spawn-area CP of the other team will get triggered to switch owners.

The layout would probably look something like this:
tf2_tc_koth.png

A, B, C, and D are hidden points that correspond to spawn rooms. AtoB, AtoC, AtoD, BtoC, BtoD, and CtoD are your KotH points in the middle of the between areas. BLUE and RED are the capture points for the final rounds (presumably you'd keep them attack/defend, to prevent stalemates, but KotH final rounds are possible).

Possible things that might go wrong:
a) This would require eleven cap points minimum (twelve if you have separate rounds for AtoD and BtoC, which is the usual way to do it), but I've heard that there's a limit of something like eight that the game can handle before bugging out. One can hope that if you're only dealing with three at a time, it might not be so bad.
b) I haven't tested this empirically, but I believe it chooses the next round based on priority and whether or not the team owns all points listed under "Control points in this round" in the round entity properties. Normally you would just have it as "A B" or "B D" depending on the round. However, with the third KotH point in the middle, you'd need to have it listed as "A AtoB B" or "B BtoD D" in order for your point to actually show up in the HUD. This means it's likely that the game will force you to play all six combinations in the middle before letting you play the last round. One way around would be to have some complicated condition checking, and if you own B and capture C, it will automatically give you BtoC, assuming that was not the round you just played to win C.

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
Are the hidden control points for each spawn room really necessary? Could enabling the spawns be accomplished through logic relays? Because otherwise the 8 - point limit really starts to be an issue. I also havent figured out how many "territories" I want the map to have.

Also, what do you guys think about the idea as a whole? Would it be an interesting/fun gametype?

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
I don't know about the idea of capturing the enemies base without actually entering the enemy base.