Resource icon

tankfight_plane 2017-05-27

woolydog

L1: Registered
May 26, 2017
tankfight_plane - A map where you fight a plane.

This is just something I was working on. It's a plane that you have to fight. As soon as you walk out of spawn, it attacks. Stay out of the miniguns' sight. Shoot the engines on the wings.

Yes, I know it doesn't look good.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Some feedback on the map:
20170526200329_1.jpg
The entire time I played, I kept getting these errors in the console. I don't know what they mean or if they're a problem.

20170526201553_1.jpg
At first I joined Red team, and all I see is this blue box. It's kinda confusing, you should add a notice to players that join Red that they need to join the Blu team, perhaps with a trigger volume firing an output to a game_text.

20170526201639_1.jpg
Some notes about the map:
-Add some lighting, at the moment your map is fullbright and not only does fullbright look ugly, it breaks servers and clients.
-The map is just a boring, empty box. Perhaps add some cover and/or other geometry to spice things up.
-The ceiling textures don't look like TF2 textures, and maybe the wall textures too. I don't recommend using non-TF2 textures in TF2, it breaks the art style. I can't force you to do it, I just highly recommend it.
-Making the map outdoors would also make it more realistic, and it would also make solving your lighting problem easier as you could use a skybox textures and a light_environment entity to light the outdoor areas.

20170526200419_1.jpg
A couple things about the plane:
-Why is there lava on the bottom?
-There's no indication that the miniguns are firing anything. I don't know if it would be possible to simulate the miniguns firing bullets, but if you could, that would be nice.

20170526200704_1.jpg
I spent a really long time firing at the underside of the wing of the plane before realizing that what I needed to be shooting was on TOP of the wing. Not only is that kinda confusing, but putting it on top of the wing of the plane makes it hard to shoot from the ground. Additionally, when you shoot down both engines and the plane crashes to the ground, there's no indication of what to do next- it took me a minute to figure out that I needed to shoot the bomb on top of the plane.

20170526202907_1.jpg
If you die, you respawn behind a closed, locked door. Perhaps make it like arena mode, where if you die you won't respawn and when all players die they lose, or make the door open for players that respawn so that they can rejoin the fight.

The biggest challenge on the map is figuring out what you're supposed to shoot. The plane itself is a small threat, as players will quickly realize that they simply need to stand to the side or underneath of the plane. Here are a couple tips to make it more challenging/fun:
-Adding bots that spawn and attack the players
-Adding a variety of weapons to the plane, such as bombs that drop from the plane, a missile array, etc.
Of course, you don't have to listen to any of this- do whatever you want. It's your map, after all.

woolydog

L1: Registered
May 26, 2017
Thank you so much for your feedback. I did make it in, like, a day, so maybe I should have worked on it more. To be honest, I didn't think anyone would find this map. Thank you, and have a nice day.