T-Junctions

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
I made them out of brushes. you can make exactly the same thing in hammer.... also they're all incredibly specific to strata, so you'd have no use for them.

edit to ninja response: Clearly you've not really grasped the concept of level design.

Soo you make it sound like they're not really models? I wasn't expecting most of them to fit, but ones like this seem fine depending:

strata-props-scaffolding.JPG

Edit: Also that was harsh and uncalled for

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
They're brushes that have been converted to models, haven't you been reading the thread?

Why would you want my wooden scaffolding model, when you could make your own version that has exactly the right shape you want? No one wants to build around my weirdly specific props. The only ones you might want are the three sizes of pillar since they're not actually fitted to a specific area. But then the same argument applies, you can make an exact copy out of brushes, so why bother?

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
They're brushes that have been converted to models, haven't you been reading the thread?

Why would you want my wooden scaffolding model, when you could make your own version that has exactly the right shape you want? No one wants to build around my weirdly specific props. The only ones you might want are the three sizes of pillar since they're not actually fitted to a specific area. But then the same argument applies, you can make an exact copy out of brushes, so why bother?

Nevermind, I was under the impression you'd got some fancy props to fit in your spaces and some looked easily convertible.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I made them out of brushes. you can make exactly the same thing in hammer.... also they're all incredibly specific to strata, so you'd have no use for them.

edit to ninja response: Clearly you've not really grasped the concept of level design.

Let's leave the douchey parting comments at the door shall we?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Hmm. If Strata needed to replace so much of its brushwork with models... How in the world has Hydro managed to stay within the limit?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Because Hydro is a launch map with virtually no detailing. :D

At least compared to the amount of bling we're putting in maps today.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I recall reading about some flag to skip tjunction processing? Can someone explain what that is?

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
I recall reading about some flag to skip tjunction processing? Can someone explain what that is?

-notjunc
works as advertised, it skips tjuncs. irregularities may happen, and considering you probably have a large map, they will happen.

if I may give an advice, before trying to fix tjunc related problems, always ask yourself "are my tjunk errors a side effect of a convoluted layout?". the anwser is yes in many cases. most of the time you can achieve the exact same results with a more straight forward layout.

Last edited:

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
I am curious what you mean by convoluted layout and the correlation with t-junctions. It sounds like you're suggesting that simpler layouts can produce less t-junctions with the same amount of actual detailing. Which intrigues me.

And speaking of alternate ways to improve t-junctions, is it possible that tricks like using 45 degree joins on corners and such, particularly for func_detail buildings, might reduce them?

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
well, if you have height variations forcing you to have stairs, you can question whether or not a height variation achieves anything. in the case where the variation does absolutely nothing, remove it if possible. (height variations are not strictly good, who would have tought!)

you can have a couple separated rooms and figure out that you could instead have a single room that achieves the same results. then, a single beam will contribute to the detailing of what was once 3 different rooms and you'll find that you probably need less beams etc...

on top of that, visleaf divisions increase your waterindice. so yes, a straightforward layout should in theory help against t-juncs

Last edited:

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
on top of that, visleaf divisions increase your waterindice. so yes, a straightforward layout should in theory help against t-juncs
Ah. Well that explains Hydro then; it's mostly huge open areas. If only there were a way to disable automatic vis cuts that occur at certain intervals, you could probably get away with even more still!

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Ah. Well that explains Hydro then; it's mostly huge open areas. If only there were a way to disable automatic vis cuts that occur at certain intervals, you could probably get away with even more still!

Look at the -block and -blocks options for vbsp.exe, I think that might influence the visleaf creation.