Switching to Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eerieone, Jan 28, 2009.

1. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    .I wanted to give the Ubuntu-Distribution 8.10 of Linux a chance, but maybe some of you have experiences with that

major questions:
    how well is tf2 running under wine/crossover?
    will i be able to work with the source-sdk?

2. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    -You can still run TF2 and steam using wine. You may be slightly more limited with graphics though.
    -I haven't tried, but I don't see why you wouldn't.

I'd try it with the new wubi installer first for a while so you don't have to make a total commitment with a partitioning: http://wubi-installer.org/

3. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 will only run under DX8 and I don't think you'll be able to use a mic.

There's absolutely no point switching to Linux if you're going to be gaming.

4. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, got it running, didn´t look all too bad, but hardly any shaders and i had to play in windowed mode because on dual screen setup, fullscreenmode is messed up
    hammer doesn´t work either :/
    man, i love the handeling of linux, but i hate that there is hardly any progress toward what improved computers in the first place... gaming

5. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    Eerieone, I have a friend I will put you in touch with, he gave windows up for Ubuntu and has been playing steam games for a long time on his Linux box, and he says he loves it. He's using the crossover software, I've got it somewhere stored on my disk. I remember he told me one of the few issues he had was that no matter what, anti-aliasing wouldn't work right. Hit you up in the chat room or pm you later.

6. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    I´ll be off the grid for several days now, but i´ll pm you as soon as everything has set (relocation etc.).

7. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    That's probably better, I'm in comp animation class atm and I couldn't get the specfics, but I did make a snowman with a flamethrower! Inspired by the Pyro, of course.

/offtopic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]