Switching light of a model on

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hi all

Im quite new to mapping, and currently working on a zf map (for the tf2 zombie fortress mod)

I often see that lamps have 2 skins, one with the light being off, and one with the light being on
I would very much like to use the model "props_trainstation/light_256ceilingmounted001a.mdl", however it doesn't have an switched-on skin
Ingame these look really strange as lightsource, light coming from a lamp thats switched off

The texture used by the model is "lobby_fixtures001a", i exported it with VTF Explorer, as a test made it completely white, and saved it as vtf again with the photoshop plugin
Ingame the model is completely white, but doesnt show light, so in the dark it doesnt look like a lightsource

So my question is, how can i get this model to look switched on, and being lit, even in the dark :confused:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
You need actually light entities (light or light_spot) to light up the area. To make the model lit up you'd need to brighten the right areas and make a selfillum mask on the alpha channel of the skin. You can probably look at the skins for other lights to see what is done.