Swampbridge

ARENA Swampbridge a3

Dr. Cranium

L1: Registered
Oct 20, 2009
Hi, I'm a beginner mapper, and this is my first completed and published map.

The story is simple: RED and BLU trains met each other on the same rail in a distant swamp. Two teams of skillful professionals landed on a place to deal with problem: whose train will roll on rails, and whose - down the cliff...

The map ended up small, so it was decided to make it arena. Almost everything works as it should, though I'd like some response for future tweaks.

Plans for future:
  • More textures
  • More props in gameplay area
  • 3D Skybox
  • Soundscape
  • Overlays
  • Roofed pier for airboats
  • Tweaks for lighting
  • Possibly - changes in buldings
  • Feedback-based changes

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
It looks like you have one huge sightline going across the point, you might want to move some buildings around to cut it.

I find resupply signs to be silly in arena (there is no resupply, is there? :p), so I'd remove them if I were you. Also, the giant arrows might be confusing; they usually lead the player to points of interest, but in your case they point the player away from the point and around a building. I'd be confused by that in-game.

Other than that, it looks pretty good for a first published map. I wish you good luck, throw this up for gameday!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yea, what Seba said about the large sightline down the middle 'cross the point...

I do enjoy the trains though, that was very creative.

Also, I would add a few more lights (Not a ton), since this is a night map you have to make sure that everything is well light, so no one can ninja around... :sneaky2:

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Like above, the sightlines and the lights, though apart from that, there's very little problems I can see, congratulations on your first release, i'd like to see how this looks more detailed. The only other way your going to get a bit more feedback, mainly in a gameplay perspective is get it in a gameday (but make sure you fix up sightlines and lights first though). Once again, good job.

EDIT: also, where's the bridge that goes over the swamp???

Dr. Cranium

Oct 20, 2009
Guys, thanks for feedback - most of the issues are fixed.
I'm currently working on a2, which, if to be honest, should've been a4 or a5.

Last edited:

Dr. Cranium

Oct 20, 2009
Well, a2 is ready.

Notes for myself:
  • Blue roof texture is ugly, should find a better one
  • Find out, why lamp to the left from the spawn does not work

Also, should I place func_smokevolume on the edges of the map?