Swamp grass

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
I want to make a swamp-themed map, and wanted to try out the blend texture "swamp/nature/blendswampdirttograss001"

Under map properties i have set detail.vbsp file to detail_swamp.vbsp, and detail material file to detail/detailsprites_swamp

I'm using it on a displacement and have painted some alpha, the grass and dirt texturing show up ingame, but the real grass (the 3d, not just the texture) doesn't

On a side note, with halloween the swamp pack was added to tf2, but apperently not everything, for example the swamp skyboxes cannot be found, and the download link at the bottom of http://swamp.tf2maps.net/ doesn't seem to work for me

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
all skyboxes have errors, in the fact that they can't be found, but they are there anyways.

It sounds like your trying to do some alpha painting (or whatever the other guys call it)... the hammer view for it is not as detailed as it is ingame...

I'm still a little confused on what the issue is (i know you have one, but I'm not sure what it is)...

Wander

Sep 16, 2010
I know that skyboxes always give errors, but these swamp skyboxes actually don't exist, and doesn't compile at all (I wanted to use hurricane night)

The problem is that the 3D grass doesn't show up in game (I'm not talking about the hammer editor)
Here is an example:
http://www.halflife2.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/05_lumberyard_1.jpg

I know I'm using a different texture than in lumberyard, but when both
"blenddirtswampgrass001" and "blenddirtswampgrass001_nodetail" exist, I assumed that the first one is supposed to show little 3D grass detail sprites.

I hope this made it more clear :)

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
For the skyboxes you'll have to download the swamp pack because these skyboxes are not in any official map... Oh, and the little "3d" grass is an edition to the texture itself, it was not made you'll have to do it yourself :)

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
I don't know much about detail sprites, except that I used to experience weirdness when I made a displacement with a texture that used them, then switched that same displacement to a texture without any. Did you do that, by any chance (or switch from one with none to one using them)?
It's also possible that they somehow got overlooked in the Swamp Pack going mostly official.

Unfortunately the download for the Swamp Pack has died/been removed despite several assets not being added to the game, meaning anyone who didn't already have it can no longer get the extra stuff. It's a shame really, there are some really good things in there, including the only info (in the form of prefabs) for recommended environment-lighting setups for the swamp skyboxes I've ever found. :\
Perhaps the non-official assets could be re-upped or something? Anyone feeling generous enough to weed through the original pack, pick out what wasn't added officially, and package it?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm pretty sure the swamp textures don't have detail sprites and that the skyboxes weren't added to TF2 (along with the particle effects and maybe a few other things that got left out).

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
I'm not sure it'll work, but I found this hiding on my computer...
Hope it will help the unfortunates to miss it!

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yea, they basically just explained all of what it is, you'll have to add them yourself!

Also, as a helpful reminder (because I got pegged for it a metric ton of times), if/when you post your map for gameday, make sure you pack all custom textures or models that you used from the swamp pack, that haven't been made official yet.

Goodluck!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
For packing custom assets, I recommend PackBSP. Search the forum or do a Google search to find it.

Wander

Sep 16, 2010
Thanks a lot all of you (especially Mr. P. Kiwi :love:)

After installing the extension pack the 3D grass particles show up in game. :)

I've used pakrat before, never had any problems with it, although I'll pay extra attention as the extension pack might've installed things that are also part of tf2 already.
If I run into any problems there, you'll hear from me ;)

Edit (5 March '12): Someone PMed me if I still had the swamp pack, the link by Mr. P. Kiwi isn't working anymore. I've uploaded it here: http://thunderized.org/tf2/TF2Maps.net_Swamp_Theme_Expansion.exe

Last edited: