Surly this can't be right?

Pendaz

L2: Junior Member
May 28, 2008
I'm working on a conversion of cs_docks (old cs 1.6 map)

I ported the bsp over to the source engine cleared everything out apart from the brushes checked for errors on interlopers and it was clean... so i began my work...

i've now come to a point where i'm trying to add water, which diddnt render properly in game, i discovered the problem was due to a leak, so with the help of interlopers error finding page i've been going thru the leaks one by one and removing them... which is where my confusion come in... at the rate i'm going, i'll be deleting everything i've added to the map... i've removed all lights/prop_details and prop_statics.. now its telling me my team_filter_activators are causing leaks?

Surly this can't be true... i really dont want to have to start from scratch on this map...

If theres any information i can provide... let me know

Thanks

Pendaz

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
Heh. It's not the entitites that leak that are the problems. Leaks are when there is are no world brushes between a point entity and the Void (the great black). EVerything in your map needs to be surrounded by brushes . The easiest way to do this is to create a hollow brush with the toolsskybox texture. Otherwise you can use the "load pointfile" button somewhere in the toolbar. This will draw a line from the entity to the void.

Pendaz

May 28, 2008
ok i think i understand whats happening here

Its not the entities themselves that are causing leaks, more that theres a gap in the structure of my map..

Placing a box around my map wouldn't be a good idea as its pretty big lol... is there any way to find this "gap" so i can fill it?

I've been loading the pointfile in order to find these leaks (as well as "goto coordinates") and they usually just pass through a brush, change direction a few times then head out to the void

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
The compile log will spit out a bunch of co-ordinates. Go to each co-ordinate and have a snoop around for the leak.

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
I wouldnt recommend psy's method as often the coordinates are wrong because of bugged origins etc.. If the pointfile arrow goes through a brush, that often means it's not a world brush (a func_detail, func_brush, a displacement or with a texture that doesn't block vis.

Pendaz

May 28, 2008
OK thanks for the suggestions, i placed a box around the map and did a BSP compile only, obvioulsy this stopped the error and i was able to test my water...

I guess the only way i can fix this is by searching trial and error?

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Putting a box around your map isnt a good idea, as vis will then render your whole room all the time, no matter if you have areaportals. Try to find the leak and enclose everything to the void (has already been written how).

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If you need to test without yet fixing the leaks, use the cordon :cordonenable: tool.

But from a compiling and playing performance standpoint, it's best to have everything snug instead of having it sit inside a huge box.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Map > Load Pointfile. Follow the red line, and then place brushes so it doesn't escape into the void.