Supported screenshot formats?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by shpladoink, Feb 19, 2008.

1. shpladoink

shpladoink L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    The default image format when taking screens in TF2 is .tga. While these are great quality, they're also yucking huge at around 5 megs apiece. It's possible to take screens in .jpg format as well by binding a key to "jpeg", but are there any other image types that TF2 can save as?

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    You can use "bind f5 jpg" (I think) to take jpg images instead of .tga files and there is another setting to adjust the quality of the jpg (I think)

3. shpladoink

shpladoink L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, binding a key to "jpeg" takes a .jpg screenshot, and "jpeg_quality [0-100]" adjusts the, uh, quality. I was mostly wondering about .png's or something like that since I'm picky about image artifacts and am mostly lazy about having to convert files.

4. bazola

bazola L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    There are screenshot programs. Currently I'm using Fraps myself.

5. Pseudo

Pseudo L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Some image editors such as Infranview can batch convert all tga files in a folder to png.

6. Fyfey

Fyfey L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Photoshop also supports Batch conversion. Can a bind be set up to run an external command? You could then setup the batch to run every time a screenshot was taken, converting it from tga to png.

EDIT: This would only be good if it ran in the background as to not disturb play, and would give a brief moment of slowdown I would imagine