Model Superliner

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
While I know it's a real train, it looks too smooth to fit in with the tf2 theme. In a subway, yes, but on land it's elongated and sleek.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Nice start, though it looks a too "futuristic" for the atmosphere of TF2. However that might be because of it being a double-decker. Tried to find some sources of more age-apporpriate passenger cars:

http://cruiselinehistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/hickory-creek-dh-cropped-6.jpg
http://www.weymouthnj.org/Dieael_pass_train_Budd_demonstrator_and_pioneer_trailor_CL_up.jpg

Biggest difference I see is that they're rounded on each end, rather then being flat.

Erm, you've linked me to observation cars, not passenger cars. Those are generally rounded off at the end, and are also only found on the end of a train.

Other than that, aside from not being double decker, they look pretty similar to me.

While I know it's a real train, it looks too smooth to fit in with the tf2 theme. In a subway, yes, but on land it's elongated and sleek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_car_(rail)

Passenger cars are generally smooth, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Last edited:

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
24buln8

that should be texture based, won't shade correctly otherwise

good work though!

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Way too rounded. TF2 is all about sharp edges.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Way too rounded. TF2 is all about sharp edges.

No it's not :S

Payload cart, rockets, almost every single weapon in the game and more?

The only thing that would make this stick out is that it's not more civilian themed rather than spytech/industrial/military.

that should be texture based, won't shade correctly otherwise

It is texture based, I had too much high poly geometry there though and it wasn't able to make it sharp enough in a 1024x1024 texture. Fixing as we speak.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
clickty clack straight up his ass

it's lots and lots of trains

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superliner_%28railcar%29 said:
The initial cars were built by Pullman-Standard in the late 1970s and a second order was built in the mid 1990s by Bombardier Transportation.
Yeah, that's too recent, I'm afraid.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
If there's a map with a giant monkey throwing barrels at you i don't think this is that recent.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
yeah but that's custom and not meant to be current... this is (I would assume) to be used in a serious map so it has to fit with the TF2 theme.

I like it, and I have no problem with the curves. My main problem is that the whole carriage just seems to be one block, it doesn't have a roof or anything, that's why it looks weird.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I like it, and I have no problem with the curves. My main problem is that the whole carriage just seems to be one block, it doesn't have a roof or anything, that's why it looks weird.

The engine is one thing, this is something that will end up getting tiled about 4 times behind it. So the amount of detail I can put into is quite a bit lower than what I could do with the GE.

Honestly I just think you've got a thing for objects that are long, and hard.

mmmmmm

VIVA LA NWO

L2: Junior Member
Apr 6, 2010
that's a terrible excuse, but this train doesn't look too out of place

All I'm saying is it's a pretty invalid argument to claim something doesn't fit the era after valve has (repeatedly, I might add) trashed the time zone (battle axes, brainslugs, etc) and if you're saying something that is minorly outside of the timezone (and most passenger carts from the 1950s were also very similar in their designs anyways).

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
dunno how big a fan I am of how this skin is turning out!

test0000.jpg

test0001.jpg

whatever I can just release the psd again :v

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Looks nice. When are you going to texture it?

Honestly it looks like a paint over of a render. It needs color.