Sup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Indigo Grape, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Indigo Grape

Indigo Grape L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi. I've been playing TF2 for a bit more than a year now, but only really got interested in using Hammer a month ago. I've read a ton of tutorials and threads. Hoping to learn more still.

So I really only have 1 question that could hopefully get answered. Might update this post if I have more.

1) How do you select brushes through the 2D view? I remember when I started using Hammer I was able to do it, but I can only select brushes by clicking on them in the 3D view. Answered

2) What's the best way of putting a square brush inside another? Answered

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. Attsy

Attsy L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try clicking on the outer edges of the brush.

Or for groups click and drag to make a box, then press enter. Just remember to have the selection tool (shift+s)

I hope this helps and good luck!

3. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Click the X in the middle of the brush

4. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Welcome!

Usualy I have to click the origin of the brush in the 2d view, unless as Spank says, it's a group just drag a box over it. I find it easier to select the brush in the 3d view rather than have to find the right origin though. I used to be able to click the outer edge, but that doesn't work anymore :s

5. Indigo Grape

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, clicking on the X worked. Thanks for the responses!

6. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sup. Nuff Said

7. Indigo Grape

Positive Ratings:
    Alright so I have another question. What's the best way of putting a brush inside another without carving it? Since I heard carving is generally frowned upon and produces too many polygons. I tried experimenting with the clipping tool but I really don't know how to use it in this case.

8. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Welcome to TF2Maps.net!

I don't really get the 2nd question. I mean do you want the brush inside to be seen by the player or what?

9. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    he probably means like a glass textured brush to act as a window.

if you are doing simply a rectangle inside another rectangle which is flush on all sides, carving is somewhat okay, since it's just a faster version of the slice tool in this case, but you should basically ALWAYS use the slice tool. it's the one that has a cube which looks like it has been..well..sliced.

10. Indigo Grape

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I meant like putting a rectangle inside a rectangle. Thanks for the response.