Summer Mapping Initiative - Portal 2 Mapping Contest

msleeper

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2008
We at ThinkingWithPortals.com are proud to present the Summer Mapping Initiative mapping contest!

Now, you may be asking yourself, "msleeper, just how difficult is this competition? What was in that phonebook of a rules page I just read? Am I in danger?"

Let me answer those questions with a question: who wants to win an Ultimate Portal 2 Gift Pack and have their work spotlighted by Valve on the official Portal 2 Website? If you're interested in participating in this test then read on.

The competition will run from today (Tuesday the 24th of May) to 11:59PM EDT on the 6th of June at which point we will stop accepting submissions from test subjects. This is only two short weeks - there's no time to waste!

We're looking for clever and fun test chambers consistent with the themes in Portal 2 (which means no custom assets!). The top two winning maps will receive the grand prize of the Ultimate Portal 2 Gift Pack, as well as having their maps spotlighted on the official Portal 2 website.

If you haven't read the rules page we linked to above, I urge you to read it now. Thoroughly. Here's the link again, in case you missed it:

Thinking With Portals - Summer Mapping Initiative

Last edited by a moderator:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Why does it have to be in the two worst weeks for me to map? >.<

Anyway, I can't wait to see some of the entries for this, I'll check back on the 6th for the submissions!

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Knowing us guys we will see some pretty and cool testchambers! I have quite a few planned chambers I was going to build in summer but looks like now is as good a time as any with a contest :D

msleeper

Aug 3, 2008
Also, can i politely say that repeated reuse of portal lines in your communique's is my least favourite thing about thinkingwithportals.com? You're as bad as the people who've dulled the edges of Monty Python.

For the record, I didn't originally write this, another of the staff members did. I've just been reposting it around the mapping track and replacing his name with mine, since it wouldn't make sense if I referred to myself as "Nacimota" when my name is clearly "msleeper".

StickZer0

&#128153;&#128153;&#128131;&#128153;&#128153;
aa
Nov 25, 2008
For the record, I didn't originally write this, another of the staff members did. I've just been reposting it around the mapping track and replacing his name with mine, since it wouldn't make sense if I referred to myself as "Nacimota" when my name is clearly "msleeper".

Thanks for the personal touch to make us feel special. Jeez.

Stun_gravy

Jan 23, 2010
lol, I appreciate your post msleeper. This contest gives me an actual deadline for a map I'm working on. Thanks to those who arranged the whole thing.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
This is sponsored by Valve huh. Well I'd join if I had Portal 2

even then two weeks sounds awfully short a time

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
No custom assets? Bahahahahaha...

Seriously, that's boring.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
Swordfish if you just detail your chambers a bit it should be a strong entry

Nacimota

Jan 18, 2011
Also, can i politely say that repeated reuse of portal lines in your communique's is my least favourite thing about thinkingwithportals.com? You're as bad as the people who've dulled the edges of Monty Python.

My sincere apologies for trying to inject a little light-heartedness into the announcement

:p

No custom assets? Bahahahahaha...

Seriously, that's boring.

That was Valve's idea and I think you're making it sound worse than it is. Mapping for Portal is not the same as mapping for Team Fortress; we can surrender changes in art direction because there's an emphasis on puzzle design.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I'm entering :D
And you know what.. it's quite easy to map for portal 2 considering there's loads of instances.

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
It'd be great if these kind of things didn't happen during the weeks leading up to finals.