stupid vertexes!!!

94Sniper

L1: Registered
Apr 26, 2008
im just playing around tryin to make a surf map, and whenever i move a vertex, it moves way out of place in game! stopping my surfing instantly. when i hit alt+p it says:

"Invalid Solid Structure:

The solid has invalid structure, probably as a result of vertex manipulation."

i've trying grouping all the surf angled brushes together and they still move, i've made them all into a func_brush, and they still move. Any help is appreciated.

Thx!

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Most likely you are creating a concave shape when you move the vertex. You need to keep all brushes convex.

Concave = pacman

Probably the best solution is either turning the brush into a displacement and trying to paint the angle you want or cutting the brush in half and shaping it.

You can make a concave shape out of 2 wedge shapes that you can't make out of one cube shape.

efciem

L69: Deviant Member
Mar 31, 2008
vertex manipulation is fine if you keep yout triangle geometry sorted and not concave

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
yep, when moving vertices, , make sure if 4 points are all on one faces, that they're on the same plane. a quick way to check if you are not sure is to try to look at all four points as flat as possible, if you cant do it the brush is probably going to be invalid.

Dont worry about the haters of surf maps, they can be great fun if done right... but most turn into spawn camping fests.