Stupid Displacement question

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, so I would like to create a rocky roof, I know i need to use displacements. I go, make a brush, choose the bottom (and only the bottom) face. create a power 2 displacement. use a little bit of paint geomerty magic (though I did test it without doing this), go to compile the map and... it won't load up.

I go to the console do the Map [mapname] and it says it cannot load the map because of an error or invalid displacement...

-No leaks (checked twice)
-Ran through interlopers, only error i'm getting is that i'm running fast. vvis (tried on normal, no change)

So yea, what am I doing wrong?

Attsy

L3: Member
Jan 31, 2010
Does the map load when you delete that roof?

Also is alt+p clean and have you tried pasting the map into a new .vmf?

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yes, it still happens when I remove the roof.

and the map i was testing on was a 640x640 square, it had a skybox for the top and the displacement was below it.

Don't think i made an invalde solid

funny thing, any displacement I make on this map does it, not just if its the roof

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, I just ran a couple tests...

Apparently when I name the map "displacement test" or "disp test 2" (which is what they were called) they don't work... but when I changed the name of the second map to "greenbow" (A non, dev sounding name naturally), it works perfectly find...

Do the names of the .vmf/.bsp files affect how they are loaded?

EDIT: I may have figured out what happened.

in the first map, i remember back, there may have been an invalid solid, i thought i deleted it, but i could be wrong. and have missed something. Also, for the second map "disp test 2" I didn't use _'s as the spaces. Would that have any affect?

Last edited:

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
I have had strange errors with test maps. Once, I named a map "Particles test" and the map refused to load. I then renamed the map "arena_particletest" and it loaded! I think it has something to do with putting capitals in the map name.