Strange shadow dots?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Crash, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    So what the heck causes this?

[​IMG]

I've tried lighting the area more, remaking the brushes, and raising the lightmaps.

The latter changes it to this:
    [​IMG]

So it has something to do with the lightmaps, or at the very least affected by them.

It doesn't just happen on these brushes, but on a few other angled brushes as well. They are all func_detailed. Anyone know why it's doing this?

2. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    would you mind sharing your bsp with me? I don't think I can explain why it's happening but I'm working on a lightmap editor and I'd like to have a look at it. this is pretty odd.

3. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
  4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    It's sort of top secret until after the April Fools gameday. I'll probably have a solution of some sort by then. Turning it into world brushes seems to fix it, but I don't want to go that route.

TF2 was closed and no dynamic lights. :/ Edit: Wait, there are some dynamic lights now that I think about it, but it's no where near the area. Also they've been in fine for awhile and this problem just popped up when I made those brushes in the pictures. It popped up around other places at the same time, too.

5. Eyce

Eyce L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Tried deleting the triangular face?

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yep. It's actually doing it on some plain wedge ramps in a few other spots on the map, as well.

7. Eyce

Eyce L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    In that case, does it do it if it's a world brush?

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Already tried to move the whole map in another spot in hammer?
    IIRC this fixed (or postponed) the displacement color thing.

9. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    OMG Crash - you kill me with these issues! First the black wall you had and now some magic dots!

Try this see it it helps

select texture from nearby brush - alt+right click to copy it over and see if that works.

It's just a solid right? - not a displacement or func_detail?

If func_detail you may get a rad crash in game if you have grouped them together then func_detailed them making them into one object.

Try separating them then func_detail them one at a time if needed. The crash only seems to happen when you have two sloping func_details sloping in side by side (imagine the inside of a V) engine can't compute the lighting and crashes.

10. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    I ended up remaking all the brushes I had issues with about a dozen times. Copying the brushes (for mirroring) seemed to cause it partially, so I had to remake them manually on both sides. Also, func_detailing them in a big group seemed to also be the cause.

I have no idea what I did exactly that fixed it or caused it, seemed like a series of things.

11. mint onion

mint onion L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've seen similar artifacts when i had accidentally placed a light inside a wall.