Strange Lighting Problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by matou, Sep 3, 2010.

1. matou

matou L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have this wierd problem with lighting leaking through a wall. Now i've read something before and have tried searching/looking for the post here that explained how to fix it but cant for the life of me find.

:D anyone care to link to me to it or explain to me how to fix?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/marineau/walllighting.jpg

^link of the issue to help clarify my problem

2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    Well, i know there is a texture called "blocklight" that you can use. just make a block with the skip texture and texture the side closest to your weird wall with "blocklight", Not sure if it's the correct way, but it should work.. :/

3. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    You need a solid brush of world geometry with nodraw behind it with at least 16 units to block out that light. That displacement geo won't cut it.

Also, set shadows to off on that ruble model, so you don't have that gigantic black spot.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. matou

matou L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, and yeah i did after turn off the shadows after i went to screenshot the room

5. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, that gigantic black shadow is bad. However, I wouldn't suggest simply turning off the shadows on the model. Instead, deal with the shadows until your final few release compiles. When you start doing those then I'd use Youme's Removing Ugly Shadows tutorial to get the model to cast accurate shadows. Same thing for those security fences and track models. The compile methods in the tutorial add a LOT of time to your compiles, so they should only be used for late beta and release compiles.

6. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Sometimes it's better to leave shadows off completely rather than making accurate ones, especially in a case like this.