Strange lighting problem that can't really be explained

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Zabidenu, May 14, 2011.

1. Zabidenu

Zabidenu L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    (okay, this is for a CSS map, but I guess it's quite much the same with TF2)

[​IMG]
    That little brush that causes that lighting problem is a func_breakable. What should I do to get it have the same lighting as the other brushes of the wall?

2. BrainInBlack

BrainInBlack L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  3. Zabidenu

Positive Ratings:
    Nope, that didn't work :/

EDIT - When I make this brush a world brush it works fine but when it's a brush entity it doesn't work properly.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You could tie that brush and the wall its in to the same info_lighting, this adjusts the lighting origin of the object that tied to it. That may work.

5. Zabidenu

Positive Ratings:
    But info_lighting works only with prop_statics, right?

6. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    You could try making the rest of the devsquare an indestructible func_breakable or maybe just a func_brush. I'm not really sure what's going on here, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with smoothing from a brush ent to a world brush.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, it is impossible to get even lighting across a world-entity seam. You'll want to turn more of the wall into an entity (of any type, except func_detail) for the best bet at fixing it, though I can't guarantee it won't still be apparent.

On the other hand, if you just texture your map it will be way less noticeable regardless. Dev textures show lightmaps extremely blatantly compared to any proper texture.

• Thanks Thanks x 2