Strange lighting glitches?

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
I'm working on a map, it's going pretty well.

However, in 2 areas, I get some odd flickering lighting.

I'll just post a video of what I mean:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSUx0yBINxs"]YouTube - Lighting glitches in TF2[/ame]
Visit the video's page on youtube to see the annotations, though they don't go too far beyond what I've put here.

Ignore the lack of cubemaps.

In the first part, This only seems to affect the wood textures in the room. The metal beams you see are func_detail, like the bridge, but they don't flicker. In the second example, normal world brushes seem to flicker, and lights seem to fade off when I can't directly see the light source. My map is leak-free, no errors when compiling.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
You probabbly have a model texture on a brush, change the texture for a similar one that has no models/... on their name.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Don't feel silly. The "Oops, I used model textures" stage is something nearly every mapper hits. It makes me wonder why they don't suit Hammer with some kind of warning for it, or bring it up when you run a problem check on your map.

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
I know everybody says not to use model textures on brushes and I don't but I did notice that turbine has a model texture on the vent brushes. Just saying.

MacBeth

L1: Registered
Sep 1, 2008
I found that too, when I wanted to make similar vents - there isn't a non-model version of that texture though. Of course, I could always make one... only the strange shininess of that texture seems to work well in the vents anyway.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Some model textures are usable (such as the hazard overlay textures i believe) in the world. I'm not sure why, i presume it's something to do with how they are compiled in accordance to the model.

Your warning will be the fact that it states model/ or prop/ infront of the indivdual textures name.

When searching for textures i normally just type in wood/ nature/ metal/ etc. Thus eliminating the off chance i may select a model texture. I kind of do it out of habit rather than for that very reason, but that is a benefit of it.