MVM Storm

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by LeSwordfish, Oct 25, 2012.

1. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Storm drain/subway themed mvm map.

Original idea by yyler, pop file by aly, assets from construction pack. Franly i don't know what i do around this place.

2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    When i saw the thread title my first thought was to come in and tell you to use storm drains.

Looks like you're already on it, though.

3. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah.

The storm drains are like tokyo, the subway will be as much like the london underground as i can manage.

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I like what you've done here. Let's play it.

Me either. Both of your most recent maps are at least half my ideas, though, so I definitely like that you're around.

5. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Sword is yyler's "make map" button

and he presses it hard

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    On the last round, the tank instantly spawns above the hatch and falls in. dafuq

EDIT: some real feedback is good i suppose

The map is pretty boring overall. There is only one tank route, and three routes for the bots to take. The tank route needs more places to go, right now you either go down the main path, or... go down the main path. The lower, curved path also suffers from the same problem, with the addition of being cramped and flat. I never saw any bots enter the pipe system, but I'm guessing that's because we killed the bots to easily.

The first room is pretty baller. Paths could stand to be wider, and I wouldn't mind some cover on the back balcony. The finale is pretty bland looking, but I never got the opportunity to fight bots in it.

Your pop file is super easy and you should make your own for the next release.

Overall, it was a bit of a downer. It has some cool ideas, but the overall execution was lacking. Study existing, successful MvM designs some more.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  7. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    your tank spawns deep in the water so i had to noclip to kill it. the final tank spawns above the hatch and instantly owns us, but that's aly's fault i think. do your own pop file for this as soon as possible. pyros with that dumb neon sign melee might be interesting.

[​IMG]
    nodraw, no problem

[​IMG]
    players cant jump into this--intentional? mark it if so

[​IMG]
    i would like if one or both of these gratings could be removed so i can shoot through them. actually, now that i think about it, i'd like if this area was generally more interesting

[​IMG]
    love the start as a soldier. the water is awesome. great idea, i am glad i had it

[​IMG]
    this is a super boring hallway

[​IMG]
    i think you should put a players-only vent down here under the escalator that connects into the hallway or something so that we can skip the first curve of that boring hallway

[​IMG]
    you've got a playerclip here blocking movement, i think it's just the side of a clip brush that lets you walk up that lip more easily

[​IMG]
    love this

8. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure I understood what was going on. There were waypoint signs pointing everywhere, I think there were 2 paths enabled at once?

The map both big and small at the same time, the reason is that there are many different routes, extremely separate from each other, once you're in one of the paths, you won't be able to quickly move to another, and this is a problem if the bots split and push multiple routes, again I don't know if that actually happens but I will assume they do.

The tanks are broken. one just doesn't rise from the starting pit, the other trolls right into the end pit when it feels like its time (it spawns on top of it and just ends the game)

All in all I have to say it was more confusing than fun for me as engineer. I was not sure where my sentry would be the most effective, and there were very few clear "hold" positions or corners that were actually useful for me to hide behind. All the time I was worried something had run past me, and I had no idea where half my team was or what they were doing, but at the same time none of them seemed to be slacking so I don't know.

9. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    5char

10. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like the problem is to do with the fact the map seems to be primarily corridors. Which means fewer areas around the paths to take up ambush spots. It also means less visiblity of the map to see where bots are and obviously prevents players from taking direct paths towards bots in other areas of the map.

Actually, i advise looking at some NS2 level design for some solutions, due to the fact that one team can "wall walk" there are interesting wall and platform designs.

For example, if there is going to be a subway, you could have bots travel down the tracks while players hold the high ground a platform (Actually i think this is a BF2 map design also).

11. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I told you that my pop file references things that are non-standard. The tank nodes are one of those, spawn points are the other. Silly Swordfish!

12. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    I must've missed the tank nodes, but it looked like the same generic tank_start_whatever stuff as I'd copied from mvm_example.

And it does spawn in the right place, it just doesn't move.

13. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Well if it spawns in the right place, and doesn't move, that's /your/ fault. :p

14. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, i'm not sure why i was arguing so fervently that that was the case.