Storage

Stormcaller3801

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 5, 2009
I figured I ought to post this since I was asking people to come up with props for it. Storage is a PropHunt map, with a very straightforward storyline:

RED has managed to infiltrate a BLU base (being a storage & shipping facility cleverly disguised as a storage & shipping facility) but their arrival has not gone unnoticed. In fact BLU has brought in a team of mercenaries to clear the place out, and only RED's clever disguises can prevent their imminent demise.

Currently making use of A Boojum Snark's map pack (particularly the doors), as well as TheDarkerSideOfYourShadow's truck models, with Hojo's compressed skins.

There's six large storage areas, as well as twelve smaller ones, a small garden supply business in the corner, and the semi-requisite spytech room that will have all the bells and whistles. I designed this map with the idea of having a reason for as many different props as logically possible, and a storage facility seemed as good as any.

For those who are unfamiliar with PropHunt, it works akin to a modified Arena. RED is all Scouts, and are disguised as random props. They then get a short time in which to run and hide. Once the timer runs out, BLU (which are all Pyros and Heavies) attempts to find and kill them before the round timer ends. There's one caveat: when BLU attacks, they take damage. Thus, it becomes necessary to regulate your fire. BLU can heal up 100% by running across the control point, but only once every 55 seconds. There's a couple other quirks but that fairly well covers it.

If everything goes according to plan, props will spawn on the map randomly, which should improve replay value, as it will be more difficult to memorize the layout. This will also allow me to offer up a larger list of random props for the RED team. At the start of the hiding time, all (normal) doors will work regularly, while BLU remains stuck in their storage container spawn areas (there's two, side by side). When the timer ends, all doors will open and then remain open, with the storage container doors being triggered rotating doors that will swing wide and allow their lethal cargo to depart. Play will proceed as normal from there.

I'm also thinking about a few more quirks; I've already got one storage area planned for hazardous waste storage, so I may add some toxic gas leaks (steam, more or less) from a few barrels with hurt triggers associated. I'm making most, if not all, glass breakable. And I think it's going to be fun to do.

My biggest regret at the moment is the fact that the roofs are 16 HU thick. But I don't regret that enough to change it (yet)...

Last edited:

strangemodule

Sep 10, 2009
You're doing pretty good detail-wise. Looks like it will need a ton more props to be playable in PH, though.

Stormcaller3801

Jul 5, 2009
Oh absolutely. I'm going to go back in and flood the place with props once I get the actual layout done. First I want to make sure all the doors work, the steps are accessible, the lighting's good, interiors are set up, and so on. Then I'll start with the easy part.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
How do you make a map prophunt or use prophunt on your own server???

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Damn i still dunno how to make a working server unless it's clicking create server in tf2 :p

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Okay i didn't really want you too but thanks anyway.

Also If anyone has a working server can they zip them and upload them somewhere for download please it would be greately appreciated.

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Touché i'll set up a thread in the server discussion.

Stormcaller3801

Jul 5, 2009
Work continues getting things laid out, lit up, and prepped for massive prop-drops. I think the breakable one-way mirrors will be a real hit, and I think I've got the lighting just about right in comparison with the skybox.