Stop Player Taunting

EmNudge

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 23, 2015
Is there a brush-based entity or something that I can use that will stop players from taunting in a specific area?

I know that players cannot taunt under specific situations. There have been times where spamming G wouldn't even let me taunt, so I know it's possible, at least plugin-wise

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
I'm not a map maker so I might be talking right out of my ass here, but I believe you can use the TF2 condition trigger/brush (dunno the name) and remove the "taunting" condition (TFCond_Taunting, condition #7) for all players that pass through or touch it.

If I was doing this via a Sourcemod plugin (map entity work has some similarities to plugins), that's what I would do - remove the taunting condition to stop them taunting. (At least, I think that should work.)

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
This might not fix it but "taunt is press and hold" in a Trigger_add_or_remove_tf_player_attributes might affect taunting. I'll experiment with it a bit later to see if it helps.

Why are you trying to prevent people form taunting, though? Because there might be a different way to approach the issue

EmNudge

Sep 23, 2015
This might not fix it but "taunt is press and hold" in a Trigger_add_or_remove_tf_player_attributes might affect taunting. I'll experiment with it a bit later to see if it helps.

Why are you trying to prevent people form taunting, though? Because there might be a different way to approach the issue
There are two reasons. One, I've got a boxing ring area where I would like the medics to not be able to heal teammates with the amputator taunt. Two, I don't want medics using the "Meet The Medic" taunt in the water and hurting everyone's ears (It's a glitch valve has yet to fix).

Of course, there are different ways to approach both of those, but none would work as well as just blocking taunting in those areas. It'd also be nice if I could use it in other, less needed scenarios.

EmNudge

Sep 23, 2015
Sorry for the necro-post, but did either of you come to any working conclusions?
using tf_remove_condition with condition #7 works sorta. It only work on first touch, so I'd use a logic_timer with a .05 refire time to toggle it. The problem used to be that taunts like the shred alert could be spammed, resulting in tons of particles and audio files being played. Meet the medic taunt still spawns birds as well.

Valve has mostly fixed it due to a bug of their own, but the shred alert taunt can still be used to trigger some particles and sound. it can no longer be spammed and can only be done again once the time the taunt would have taken is up. (I.E. even though you're not actually taunting, the particle ans sound will play for 4 seconds. After which, you can use the shred alert again. Valve blocks you from using any taunt while the shred alert playing its sound).

Not sure of a perfect solution, but this one might do.