Status
Not open for further replies.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Sticky up top.

Valve Maps(Decompiled)

Used to see HOW they did something, not used for editing or changing then re-releasing.

Apr 13, 2009
Because they're not yours to begin with, and because it probably wouldn't work well anyway (though vmex seems to do a really good job at decompiling).

suzzanuzza

L1: Registered
May 18, 2009
what about 2fort_night? its still called 2fort but its just modified. thats not stealing right?

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Please say you didn't say 2fort_night... >_>

(FYI just changing the lighting+skybox texture IS stealing. and just sayinG 2fort night probably made 99% of the forums hate you.)

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Yeah, but that's actually edited to a pretty big degree. Kinda like badasswater. or so if i can remember.

suzzanuzza

May 18, 2009
Please say you didn't say 2fort_night... >_>

(FYI just changing the lighting+skybox texture IS stealing. and just sayinG 2fort night probably made 99% of the forums hate you.)

Who gives a crap if I used 2fort_night as an example? youre crazy. I payed for the game so I should be able to do whatever i want with it. Im not trying to profit from it im only using something that i bought for recreational use. Thats like saying if i buy a peice of paper, then draw a picture on it, im stealing from the paper company because i "modified" their paper. Think about what you say before you talk buddy.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
Oh god, here we go again. "I PAID FOR IT LET ME DO WHATEVER I WANT".

And no, your paper analogy is wrong. When you bought the paper, you bought hammer. It's not stealing until you trace someone else's drawing, which is what you are talking about.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
It's more akin to you spending days painting a beautiful landscape. You sell it to someone, and they change the color of the sky and add cows, and then display it under their own name. The work isn't theirs, it's just taking credit from the original author.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Last edited:

suzzanuzza

May 18, 2009
So if I give valve credit in the map information, then its not stealing. its the same exact thing as writing a paper. when you use someone elses work in a paper, you give them credit in the works cited page or with annotations. it is not considered stealing if you give the original author or creator credit for what you have used. So there you go. I give Valve credit, its not stealing. You cant argue with that, and if you do, then every research paper you every wrote was also stealing.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Credit != Get out of jail free card.

When you write a paper, you take quotes. You don't TAKE THE DAMN PAPER.

What your talking about, is taking the paper, adding a few sentences, and releasing it. Even if you quote the entire thing, it still has your name on it.

Plus it makes you look like a douche because everyone knows your too shit of a mapper to come up with your own stuff so you took it from valve.

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
So if I give valve credit in the map information, then its not stealing. its the same exact thing as writing a paper. when you use someone elses work in a paper, you give them credit in the works cited page or with annotations. it is not considered stealing if you give the original author or creator credit for what you have used. So there you go. I give Valve credit, its not stealing. You cant argue with that, and if you do, then every research paper you every wrote was also stealing.

thats not true, if you had to write a report on moby dick, and you just copy and pasted the whole novel, changed a few words, added an "in conclusion" to the end, and credited "Herman Melville" for the original, is that stealing? You bought the book, you gave him credit...

the answer is YES it IS PLAGIARISM. In your writing a paper example, you are only quoting very small snippets from the original work. Thats akin to opening badwater and copying over the payload cart, and crediting badwater for the payload entities. That is NOT the same as copying 100% of a map, changing a few textures, adding a sniper tower and crediting the person.

Something that drastic would require you to contact the author and get written consent to not call it stealing. Watch the movie Finding Forester, that issue arises.

suzzanuzza

May 18, 2009
Credit != Get out of jail free card.

When you write a paper, you take quotes. You don't TAKE THE DAMN PAPER.

What your talking about, is taking the paper, adding a few sentences, and releasing it. Even if you quote the entire thing, it still has your name on it.

Plus it makes you look like a douche because everyone knows your too shit of a mapper to come up with your own stuff so you took it from valve.

Who said i was using the whole map? huh? what? who said that? im using a small part of the map and working off of it. So i guess it is like a quote. hank you for proving me right smartass

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Your the one who said "Edit and release" which implies EDIT as in change. If you said "Take the bridge from 2fort" that would be a quote. Saying editing is taking the paper.

You then compared it to 2fort night which is an edit, which furthered our view that you were going to do something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.