KotH Stiltshot

Dr.HeatSync

L1: Registered
Jun 27, 2012
Hi, I've been working on this map for at least a month now, and I've finally plucked the courage to upload it for the good people of TF2 maps to see. I've learned a lot about using hammer from this site so I hope that on the closing day I've made a pretty professional looking map worthy of this site. Probably won't win, but that isn't what I think is important.

For now at least, its not really that, as really only the layout of the map could be called finished. So I present to you King of the Hill Stiltshot: it is a small map with a tall and frail wooden structure in the centre of a chasm. The structure was meant as a building in progress that also serves to bridge the chasm, but a few too many drinks means its somewhat abandoned. Teams RED and BLU fight for control of it for its use of a vantage point.

As a chasm obviously there are a fair number of places to fall off and die, so getting to the control point can be difficult. The structure's barriers make sniping more difficult (but not impossible) direct combat is usually more effective.

One feature I think that was somewhat clever of me was an attempt at lessening the impact of spawnkilling with a team door pictured below:

hvbzs.jpg

There are three paths out of spawn (the third is directly outside) with one behind the grate (leading to upper levels) and the last leading to lower levels. The team owning the door can pass freely of course, but a demo or any other class hoping to spawnkill will only be able to access one of the two doors, granting a little more freedom to the team being assaulted so. This is better seen in the map itself, and I hope it proves to be a strong feature in this map.

I hope you at least enjoy my latest work as I paddle about and feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

Dr.HeatSync

Jun 27, 2012
Skybox building windows have now been toned down a bit, they should be less distracting now. Some sightlines have been tweaked to prevent shots that are too tight (if the killed player couldn't see the sniper from the point where he was shot, I believe it it would be considered unfair). Thanks for your feedback.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
You really need to brighten up the map. It looks really dark.

Dr.HeatSync

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks Jeremy. I think I'm going to need to colour correct my monitor again as it looks bright on mine. I also need to start compiling with considerations for HDR as well. I'll be increasing the brightness in response to your feedback.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
I love the unique style! Like a wooden pipeline.

I do agree it's slightly messy and dark.

Dr.HeatSync

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks, Although I did try and brighten up the map, steam's screenshot seems to alter the brightness to very dark levels. Either that's it just editing the brightness (so it should look alright when playing it) or my map is really that dark. I've tested playing the map on 2 other machines (not owned by me) and the brightness seemed fine, so I'll assume the screenshots are just taken at a different level.

I should've spent more time on the concept of the map, which is why its a bit messy (and was a bit irritating to optimise the central area). If I do more maps (not likely to this year due to returning to Uni) this is the lesson that I've learned from it (apart from learning Hammer in 2 months of course!).