Steam Reaches 15 Million Accounts

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nizzem, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Nizzem

Nizzem L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    :thumbup:

Way to go steam :)

2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    I have but this to say; dam.

3. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    The more the merrier! Join the mothercult of gaming today!

4. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    I really like the Steam system. I like how when set up a new install of windows I can just install steam before I go to bed, tell it to download all my games, then the next day after work all my games are installed and ready to be played.

One thing I had not thought about until I think Penny Arcade mentioned it is that Steam is an example of DRM done right. Yes, it forces you to buy a game and prevents you from allowing multiple people to play online from the same account. BUT, it also ensures that all your games are constantly up to date, it still allows you to install the game on as many computers as you want, and if you have friends over you can still play against each other over the LAN using the same steam account.

Steam still has some buggy issues, and I am still a little leery about having all my games in purely software form, but it is still much better than the Windows XP form of DRM (Serial Key activation, then after the first activation you gotta call them up every time you reformat) or the other forms of control that other content uses such as the DRM on music that restricts your music to only one device or only one computer.

At the end of the day I find more that I like about steam, than things I don't like.

5. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I grumble about steam all the time... It was a hard transition from the WONID system. Now that I have embraced and learned the whole steam app, its not so bad. But still, there are times when I hate it and I feel like this...

[​IMG]

all in all, its has alot of pros and minimal cons. Im glad to be on steam now days :)

6. Haas

Haas Guest

Positive Ratings:
    where can i buy stocks? :)

7. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Thats a pretty messed up, be relevant picture... heh

8. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    :laugh::lol:

9. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    When I got Halflife2 and was forced to install STEAM, I was kind of pissed.

However, now I quite like it. I bought two games directly from STEAM, and these are games were cheap and I never have to worry about where the CD/DVD are. Also the built in chat client is nice.

I am a now a STEAM convert.

10. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Steam made me buy more games than I did the previous years.
    I do have a habit though to buy "Packs" on Steam. Bought the "ID Pack" and "Source Pack" for instance. Saved me loads of money.
    And games are a bit cheaper:
    Steam: Orange Box $49,95 (excl. tax)
    NL: Orange Box €49,99 (about $73, incl. tax, but tax will not be $23 :) )

11. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just pre-ordered Audiosurf. Price $8,95 and VAT $1,70, so about 19% tax.
    In the calculation above with the same rate, at Steam the Orange Box will probably cost about $59,44. That is way cheaper than the Dutch store price of $73.
    So the money I saved on buying the Orange Box on Steam, I used to buy an other game.

12. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    I was looking at audiosurf, but I was not sure if I wanted to buy it.