Steam problem - gets stuck on Update

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pl, Jun 11, 2009.

1. pl

pl L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey all, when I launch Steam, it wants to update with a message saying "Updating Steam platform", and then shortly later it gives me "Steam is temporarily unavailable, try again later" and then I sigh.

I've tried the obvious, restarting and repairing (in the installer) Steam, but it seems to be not much help. :(
    I've got no ideas of what else I could try, so if you could throw out some suggestions, thanks :)

If nobody has anything that works, I might try the Steam forums. But once again, thanks a lot if you could help.

2. Gaw

Gaw L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Have you tried waiting? Maybe Steam is temporarily unavailable, it happens frequently.

1. Restart pc
    2. Wait
    3. Contact steam support

You're 3 options, in order.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. pl

Positive Ratings:
    There's no use waiting, as the update window just disappears about 10 seconds. The whole Steam does quit (as I didn't see it in the Task Manager's processes)

I find this really weird, as my brother's updated just fine.

4. Gaw

Gaw L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well then wait until someone else replies, restart your pc, or contact steam support..

5. Rotab

Rotab L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Have you tried deleting your ClientRegistry.blob?

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  6. BrokenTripod

BrokenTripod L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's funny how this is the solution to almost anything Steam related.

7. pl

Positive Ratings:
    If a moderator could lock this thread, that would be great. I got my answer from Steam Support (by deleting all of the Steam files apart from the executable and Steamapps folder then restarting), and now my Steam works fine again :)