Stacking a map vertically

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
If you somehow have a massive map that can't fit into the regular X,Y hammer space could you somehow make the map stack vertically?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Seamless transitions? No. If you have stages and want to stack them sure. The only issue would be with the 3D skybox casting shadows on the map below it or being visible from below. You might be able to work around it utilizing the max render distance cutoff and putting them far enough apart vertically that they can't be rendered. That should also provide enough distance to prevent shadowing assuming your sun isn't near the zenith.

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
Seamless transitions? No. If you have stages and want to stack them sure. The only issue would be with the 3D skybox casting shadows on the map below it or being visible from below. You might be able to work around it utilizing the max render distance cutoff and putting them far enough apart vertically that they can't be rendered. That should also provide enough distance to prevent shadowing assuming your sun isn't near the zenith.

Yeah, I knew it would have to be a staged map. I actually wanted to play around with vertical stacking for the detailing contest using teleports but my computer crapped out and I couldn't do anything. Teleports in a large map would also be bad and not work at all.

I also just remembered that yeah, the sun light is actually not part of a skybox. Perhaps a night map could work if lighting was manipulated extremely well.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Isn't it possible to have multiple 3D skyboxes? I thought I read somewhere that someone had pulled it off.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
That shouldn't be difficult in theory, if the sky_camera had Enable and Disable inputs.

kinggambit

L1: Registered
Oct 13, 2013
Here's a thread about the same question i had:
http://csgo.gamebanana.com/threads/187241

This prefab illustrates sorta how you could create multiple 3d skyboxes. It will definitely be a bit harder if you're stacking the map vertically, because you'll have to duplicate some of the "overlapping areas" (i.e. if you're in area 2, you could still see parts of area 1 and 3).