Sprial ramp

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Laggy, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Laggy

Laggy L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  2. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Twister may be overkill.

I'd suggest following this guide and using the arch tool to make a ramp of steps. Scaling using the vertex editor may help you to do things like adding trim on the sides, etc.

4. Laggy

Positive Ratings:
    Terr I want a ramp not stairs :p

sinister can you upload that twister thing to mediafire or something I can't dl it from there too slow.

5. mtv22

mtv22 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    just make stairs, then make them ramps. When you have a ramp segment copy, paste, turn however many degrees (360/# sides of circle). Then copy and post both, then copy and past 4, then 8 and so on.

6. ChickenLover

ChickenLover L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Model it. It will be a lot less complicated. Doing that out of BSP is likely to give you errors either during compile or from the lighting.

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    oh how wrong you are.

You just need to use triangular prism rushes and use the vertex editor :vertextool: to alter the height of each point, this is the 'old fasioned' way of doing uneven ground instead of displacement, its also more flexible as you can have whatever shape you want and aren't limited to rectangles.

if you're unsure, just open badlands in hammer and take a look at the blockbullets brushes around the spiral point.

Also, re-upload your image, i've removed it due to it's stupidly large size. Wise up, monitors aint that big yet.

8. ChickenLover

ChickenLover L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Really? Do you do a lot of light rendering on your block bullet brushes? I'm not even going to get into how uneven of an incline those triangular brushes are on badlands.

Anyways, he solved the issue with a displacement which will probably do the trick.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  9. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Protip: Taking an image with terrifyingly illegible hand/mouse-writing... and making it a huge resolution (ex 5,000 x 3,125 pixels) does not help.

Even MS Paint has a "Text" tool...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  10. mtv22

mtv22 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    lol I'm still looking to see where the spiral ramp comes into play.

11. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    teh huge romp is hear
    [​IMG]

12. Laggy

Positive Ratings:
    Ohh yeah sorry about that I forgot to turn the size of the file down in photoshop (I mess around and make crappy comics :D)