Spotlight on intel...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Nineaxis, May 23, 2008.

1. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, I'm making a CTF map and in the "intel room", I want to have two spotlights focused on the intel- not much else lighting the room, for effect. I noticed that light_spot has a "point at entity" option, but I'm wondering what would happen if the intel is picked up and the spotlights are set to be pointed at it. I want the lights to be static, not kill my map following some scout around.

Or, is there a better way to do this? (I tried getting both to match up and point at the desk, but the second one won't rotate to the same point, making a very odd lighting effect.. I'm trying to make it symmetrical, not lopsided.)

Thanks,
    Noob Nineaxis

2. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't tested but I believe it should work just to point at the intel since only dynamic lights can move.
    Otherwise, create a info_target and point the lights to that instead. Should work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Making an info_target and pointing the lights at it worked perfectly, thanks!

4. Demitri Omni

Demitri Omni L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, if you just 'point at entity' and select the intel it works fine.

'point at entity' simply sets the entity in question's starting angle in the direction of the selected entity.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I see how it works now. It just automatically sets the angle to whatever it needs to be in the editor; it isn't based on the actual entity's location at any time.

6. slix00

slix00 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have a question. Is it possible to make a spotlight that follows an entity around?

7. Demitri Omni

Demitri Omni L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I imagine it would be possible, just complicated, and probably too much trouble for what it would be worth.

I'm also not sure if you could get anything to follow the intelligence (like Nineaxis thought he might accidentally do) without some entity programming of some sort.

8. Pseudo

Pseudo L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just make a light_dynamic and set the "target" keyvalue to the entity that you want it to follow. Dynamic lights are very expensive to render though.