Model Special lamp needed

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Hello there!

In my map, i have some doors that can't be opened before setup ends. Since in just about any other map, such doors will open and STAY open, i thought i would add a visual indicator for the door so that people can see when the door is locked/unlocked

4ifud1.png

What i want is a plate with a round lamp on, that have a skin for both open and locked (1)
The plate should be the size of the common gameplay signs (2)
The edges (dark gray) and the lamp itself should stick out approiximately like on the picture (3)

Thanks in advance =)
Ill of course add whoever can finish this to my thanks list :p

(Btw ignore that gray box on the picture... I forgot that when you move something in paint.net you leave behind a gap of invisibility)

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Why not just use the door texture with the hand on it :v

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Why not just use the door texture with the hand on it :v

I wanted this model because i wanted something fresh, it would look better and it would be easier

The whole idea with this prop is hanging above a door. As long as the door is locked, the lamp in the middle of the plate will be red. When the doors unlock, the lamps switch to the skin where the lamp is green.
Using the door texture with the hand on would require me to remake all the doors into THAT kind of door. And even then, is it even possible to have the door change texture to the common door texture IN game? :unsure:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
You could use visible func_doors and enable/disable them. IMO that'll look better than a custom model.

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
In ye olden days of TFC, we would have made that with brushes. Make 2 non-solid func-brushes (one green and one red) for the light, rendered in additive mode so it appears to glow, and hide/reveal them as needed.

Rizz

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2009
I've added you to friends under the alias Zeemis. If you accept, I'll help you more indepth via a two-way conversation.
This model would be fairly easy to construct.

---------
Edit, here is what I have so far. I'm not done texturing.
picturene.png

Last edited: