Spawning inside of skybox instead of map?

Thane

L1: Registered
Sep 1, 2015
Evenin' everyone, I'm Thane, and I have a question. I have searched to and fro for the answer, except I found nothing, so, here goes.

I have my map, and my skybox. I have done everything in the skybox right except there is one problem. When I compile my map and load it in, instead of spawning inside of my map, I spawn inside of the skybox and fall through, and even if I noclip and find my map, it appears the skybox isn't even there. I would be most thankful if you can help me solve this problem.

Thanks!

-Thane

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
My guess is that you're spawning at the origin of your map due to the lack of an available spawn point. Make sure you have info_player_teamspawn entities and that they're all raised a few units above the floor.

ErickShock

Aug 23, 2015
I've also had this problem. The solution that worked for me is just put a info_player_start somewhere on your map (I'm implying you already have all the info_player_teamspawn's raised above ground level like killohurtz said). Hope this helps.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
I've also had this problem. The solution that worked for me is just put a info_player_start somewhere on your map (I'm implying you already have all the info_player_teamspawn's raised above ground level like killohurtz said). Hope this helps.

What? info_player_starts do absolutely nothing in TF2. Just be sure you have info_player_teamspawns and that they are inside your map and raised a few units above the ground.

Thane

Sep 1, 2015
My guess is that you're spawning at the origin of your map due to the lack of an available spawn point. Make sure you have info_player_teamspawn entities and that they're all raised a few units above the floor.

Well, no, that can't be the problem because I have the Teamspawn, (And they're each units above the ground) so that can't be it, and neither can it be I am spawning in the origin due to the fact that my map is centered on the origin, so, that can't be it either.

ErickShock

Aug 23, 2015
What? info_player_starts do absolutely nothing in TF2. Just be sure you have info_player_teamspawns and that they are inside your map and raised a few units above the ground.

Well, I thougt this solved a problem I had back then... gotta check it out then.

Maybe a stupid question, but did you build your skybox like walls around your map?

skybox1_zpspb8e2bdr.jpg~original

This won't work.

skybox2_zps2wryhzrk.jpg~original

This will.

Thane

Sep 1, 2015
Well, I thougt this solved a problem I had back then... gotta check it out then.

Maybe a stupid question, but did you build your skybox like walls around your map?

skybox1_zpspb8e2bdr.jpg~original

This won't work.

skybox2_zps2wryhzrk.jpg~original

This will.

My skybox isn't enclosed on it, and still, even if it was I still spawn in the same place, and the skybox still doesn't appear. Not only that, I tried what you suggested last and still nothing.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
1) Don't use capital letters in your filename, linux doesn't like them
2) Don't use dynamic props for everything, prop_static exists for any prop that doesn't move (did you get this from a tutorial, someone else recently did, and if you watched the same one please link us to it, we need to go annihilate this shitty tutorial)
3) Your spawn points aren't over solid ground, so you just fall out of the map
spawns.JPG

4) What the heck are all these doing way out here? They're just causing a leak...
trees.JPG

4) Do your skybox brushes around the map like this http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=notices instead of a big box.

Thane

Sep 1, 2015
1) Don't use capital letters in your filename, linux doesn't like them
2) Don't use dynamic props for everything, prop_static exists for any prop that doesn't move (did you get this from a tutorial, someone else recently did, and if you watched the same one please link us to it, we need to go annihilate this shitty tutorial)
3) Your spawn points aren't over solid ground, so you just fall out of the map
spawns.JPG

4) What the heck are all these doing way out here? They're just causing a leak...
trees.JPG

4) Do your skybox brushes around the map like this http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=notices instead of a big box.

1. My mistake, sorry!

2. Oh, that's good to know. And no, there isn't a tutorial I am for the most part self-taught on this.

3. That explains. While I was selecting the skybox, I must have accidentally selected that as well.

4. That was originally the skybox but isn't anymore.

So it seems that I did everything you asked and now the spawns are working correctly, but the 3D skybox still isn't appearing.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Do you have a sky_camera entity in the 3D skybox? Is it aligned properly (i.e. positioned in a way that it marks the origin of your map)?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Ok new set of problems: You've made your displacements the entire brush. You should just make one face of a brush a displacement (unless you specifically want otherwise). For your ground, you should select all but the top faces and use the destroy button.

As for your sky, I have no idea because it's working perfectly for me:
spookysky.JPG

spookyskyoff.JPG

The second image has r_3dsky set to 0 for comparison.