spawn door problems

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ferrante, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ferrante

ferrante L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have read the tutorial, here and elsewhere but I still have a problem. I didn't want to bring up an old post so I didn't post in the spawn room tutorial. My door is there, my trigger_multiple is there, func_door is there, my team_filter is there, and I dont know where to go from here. I decomiled to make sure, but the only problem I have is with some displacements, not the door. anyone have suggestions. if need be I'll put up a link to my map.

2. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I'm not completely sure about your problem here.

Does your func_door have a name?
    Is your door (is it a model?) parented to the func_door?
    Does your trigger_multiple open/close the door through commands on the output tab?
    Is your team filter set to the correct team?
    Does your func_door have the "Touch opens" flag checked (it should not be, but is by default)?

If you can provide a bit more detail, please do.

3. ferrante

Positive Ratings:
    yes
    my door is the normal one given in almost all tutorials, door_large_dynamic etc, and its parent is func_door.
    yes my trigger multiple is set in the output section, but one thing i noticed when I was doing this I had to type in open, there wasn't an option for it.
    my function is correct.
    I turned touch open off.

http://www.filedropper.com/ctfidontknow_5

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  4. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    That's very strange. Could you provide us a list of your I/O functions? I have a feeling that you entered the wrong target name.

5. ferrante

Positive Ratings:
    I/O as in input and output. I never placed an input in either, I just modified the outputs of all. If you would like to check it my link for the map is in previous post.

6. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    is it the door that rolls open? not the yellow grate things?
    you dont need to parent that, just set outputs on your func_door to trigger the open/close sequences when the door opens/closes. do you have the team filter entity?

7. ferrante

Positive Ratings:
    yes I have a team filter, and the door doesnt need to have a parent? so can I get rid of the func_door all together and just tie it to the prop_dynamic?

8. ferrante

Positive Ratings:
    anyone got anything? if not im gonna toss it.

9. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Broken link.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  10. nfreader

nfreader L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    No, func_door triggers the dynamic prop to be open or closed. You can have just the func_door without the prop_dynamic (like Hydro). You shouldn't have to parent anything though, just make sure that all your names are correct.

11. ferrante

Positive Ratings:
  12. bOse

bOse L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe u failed at placing the trigger multiple and func door , try moving them

13. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I've got it.

Heres what you need to do:
    1) Create a brush out of the nodraw texture (fit it to the doorway), and turn it into a func_door
    2) Have your trigger multiple target the func_door, not the prop_dynamic (delete the old outputs), with OnStartTouchAll -> Open and OnEndTouchAll -> Close
    3) Go to the door, and add 2 outputs which target the pro_dynamic:
    OnClose -> SetAnimation -> Close
    OnOpen -> SetAnimation -> Open

You'll have to manually type 'Open' and 'Close', as they won't be there in a drop down box. That should do it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. ferrante

Positive Ratings:
    I got the door to let me through and make the sounds, just doesnt go up? one more thing im missing i think. also one more thing, how do you get the doors to open on the resupply locker?

15. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

Positive Ratings:
    I forgot to mention, give the door model a different name than the func_door. Here, I took a picture of all of the settings.

[​IMG]

For the resupply locker, make the locker a prop_dynamic and give it a unique name. Then in your func_regenerate, there is a line of Associated Model. Put the name of the locker model there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Banni

Banni L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like the door model entity (which should be a prop_dynamic) isn't parented to the func_door correctly.

For the locker, follow the tutorial here. The important bit is setting the Associated Model property of the func_regenerate brush to point to the resupply locker (which should be a prop_dynamic).

EDIT: Beaten to it. And he has pics! :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

Positive Ratings:
    :-D I thought he was using a door that was just parented incorrectly myself, but after he posted an working link of his bsp, I decompiled and saw it was a different door and the animations weren't set up properly.

18. ferrante

Positive Ratings:
    1 m ore quick question, everything works, i did my second spawn door, except now the door is see threw, the part that goes down and up.
    just wanted to say thanks a ton guys, great community you have here. :rolleyes: