Spawn Direction vs. Objectives

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

FiLi

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2009
I've gotten a lot of feedback on my map cp_blast as to how my spawns are set up. Both teams spawn in a lower area then proceed up and back around to the level above them, meaning they need to turn 180 degrees from spawn to be facing the objectives.
While this method seems to work fine (the paths seem to guide traffic without any real issues), and the layout fits very well with my map's theme and thematic layout, is this something I should address and "fix"?

Here are just a couple small gifs if I'm not being clear enough or you haven't played it before:
blu exit
red exit

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Dustbowl stage 3 might help. there they walk 360 degrees upward.

As long as it feels as a natural path i dont see any issue with it.

FiLi

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2009
I don't understand really. You show something that you say works fine and ask if it should get fixed?! :c

Don't fix what ain't broken boi

Yeah, I know, it's just that I've gotten several comments from different people about it and I was wondering if there's something I'm missing here.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
There's no arrows or doors directly in the player's sight when they spawn, I think that's a problem.

Apr 14, 2013
It's completely fine IMO. I played cp_blast, and many official maps do that (dustbowl- RED spawn in stage 1 and 3, BLU spawn in stage 3, 2Fort-the staircase in the sewers, Doublecross-in the sewers too, and many others). My map has rotated spawns too, people commented about them too, but as long as it's clear where you should go I think it's fine.

Ptimz

L2: Junior Member
May 8, 2011
You should really only have people turn around in their spawn if you have a reason. Dustbowl, for example, has u-turns in: the last red spawn so that players have some cover if they spawn when the doors are open, the last blu spawn to make the safer exit take longer to travel through and also the u-turn is playable space, and in the first red spawn because it becomes a blu spawn so somebody would have to u-turn no matter where the door was placed.
In Blast, there doesn't seem to be any reason for the u-turns, so given how simple of a fix it should be for a map as far along in development as yours, I think you should change them.