RD spacecenter

taxicat

L1: Registered
Dec 29, 2012
attempt at a decent rd_ map. difficult as there's no fgd for the entities. (ent setup prefab would be nice)

----

RED and BLU fight over control of a space ship launch site.

Last edited:

taxicat

L1: Registered
Dec 29, 2012
A5 released

for some reason this thread has 2,500 views and no one has posted

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
You should submit this to a Gameday or put the download link in our Steam chat so we can playtest it.

I imagine the views are coming from people just looking to see what this new map is that uses the RD gamemode, but most of our forum regulars won't post unless they have feedback to give, and they need to test the map before they get feedback.

Personally I'd be pretty stoked to see how RD works in other map layouts, so if nothing else, submit your map to a test for me.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
Like Asteroid, the map is too big. The large, flat spaces make for very uninteresting combat areas and long walk times. No map should be so big that it needs teleporters.

I think that, entirely unlike Asteroid, your map had too few routes. The only way to get to the other team's side of the map is through the big, open box that is mid. Once you get through mid, you can either go left into a big, open box that lends itself to a lot of sentries, or go right which is where the enemy's spawn is. If you went left after mid, you have to take the front door to B, if you went right you can flank B or skip right on past it without even knowing it's there. Once you get past B you can take the laser route to their vault area or push up distressingly close to some spawn doors and take a dropdown. Once you're in the intel room you can take the lasers again, or the vent which deposits you in a distressingly open area in front of some spawn doors.

All of this makes the map a lot more difficult to gain points without pushing really hard, stealing the core is difficult because there's no relatively safe way out of their base and killing robots is difficult because the only way to push forward into the enemy base is through the wall of players and spam.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
You linked to this thread on reddit too, which is going to get a lot of clicks and not many comments (since visitors can't post).